need major help on transmissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy murf

Reaction score
First Name
joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
v8
Hey im new to this but my buddy sold me his 1986 chevy 4x4 v8 carborated truck but all it does is go in reverse because he blew the transmission. so now i need to get another one. i did some research and found out the it should be the 700 r4 but im not positive that is it. note it is automatic and not a manual. anyway i found a 700 r4 transmission on craigslist but out of a 1993 chevy 1500. So i do not know if that would work would it??? either way i need to know what transmission i need to look for and also if the one from the 1993 chevy would fit mine thanks all! if you need more info let me know.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
NO, It will not work. Most 93's are 4L60-E's Electronic Control. Now I say MOST cuz I do believe 93 was a transistion year, so it's possible that it's a 700r4, but not likely. If it is a 700r4 for certain, and is for certain a 93 trans, it's a good one to have. By 93 there were many upgrades to the 700r4. While looking around for one, the 88-92 (And 93 Transition) 700r4 transmissions are the best. 87 isn't bad either, but 88-92 have the majority of the changes and are a bit stronger than the 82-86 units. The 86 isn't bad either, but in 87 the 2nd valve body came about that corrected a few things. The later ones also have more splines on the input shaft.

If your current one lost all it's forward gears, it sounds like it wore out the Forward Clutch pack, which is really a good thing. Most 700r4's don't get that far to wear out a clutch pack, they usually break something before they get to wear out a clutch pack, so that is a good sign the trans you have currently is worth a rebuild. Just be sure to have it done by someone who will do a good job and replace everything inside to make it as good as a new one, like the worn valve bores, worn bushings, upgrade the pump to a 10 Vane pump if not already, add the Vette Servo, and the Beast Sunshell. It's possible it may have been rebuilt before and this stuff was done already too.

Good Luck, let us know if you have any more questions and Welcome to GMSB.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, Also make sure you getting a used trans out of a 4x4 or the output shaft will be wrong and your Transfer case won't bolt up.

chevy murf

Reaction score
First Name
joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
v8
okay thank you how much would it be to rebuild it and should i buy the kit before hand to save any money? should i find a used one or should i just rebuild it because im finding used ones for 500 to 300 would that be cheaper then the rebuilding process???

chevy murf

Reaction score
First Name
joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
v8
and also could i rebuild it because im finding kits for $200 and it dosent seem that extremely complex could i do this is my garage???? dosent everything just line up in the transmission???

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you've never rebuilt an auto trans, a 700r4 isn't one your really want to start with, but sure you can go for it. Not sure what's in that $200 kit, but that seems a bit high unless it's got some of the hard parts incuded like the Beast Sunshell and Vette Servo.

Also, you'll need a few special tools or be able to improvise and make your own tools.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What was the guys name that did a tear down on a , I thinking it was, a 700R4, I dont rememers tooo gud some more.
Thait shuire purdee whin aill thiem wurdz iz unnerlined ien ried.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
OOOH~OOOH~OOOOH, I forgot, Welcombe to the forum

chevy murf

Reaction score
First Name
joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
v8
thank you and idk if i should rebuild or buy one on craigslist im torn.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd say IF you can find a good one, and you trust the seller with your vibes, and can get one a good used one for about $300, then I'd do that. You're always taking a chance with used, but ... I think you'd be taking an even bigger chance building it yourself if you are not experienced and don't have some of the basic trans rebuilding tools like a clutch spring compressor or can make your own somehow.

THEN, your truck is running, and you can tear down the OEM transmission at your leisure, not under any pressure, and slowly build your own, and hopefully with someone who is experienced in building them. Once you eventually get it done, then I'd pull the current used one that you'd have currently in the truck and swap them while it's still a good runner. This way you have a KNOWN good back up trans in the event your build didn't work out right then you can just swap it back in. That's JMO and how I've done it in the past. I don't always wait til something is dead before I swap it.

After a few months, if you feel confident your build went good, then put it right back on CL and get your money back out of it. What I call, borrowing a transmission for FREE. The way I like to roll !!!

chevy murf

Reaction score
First Name
joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
v8
okay thank you for all the advise

Latest posts

Forum statistics