Need info ASAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok my truck has just been siting for about 2 weeks and I want to run the engine for a bit at idle since we have had tons of rain I'm scared moisture got in the engine since I left a header off and the air cleaner off. Can I run it for a little bit?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
You'll be fine unless the hood is missing and it's been completely open to the elements.

Reaction score
First Name
nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Water still gets in to the bay cause the adjustment is off and it's enough for it to get in. I noticed the spark plugs had surface rust

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's just from the moisture in the air. That will happen as long as a vehicle is stored outside, but you have nothing to worry about unless rain water itself actually poured into the motor.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
A small amount of water won't hurt an engine as long as any water doesn't sit within the engine, will rust the internals pretty quickly. So if i were you i'd start it sooner than later, but unless you think any real significant amount of water got into the engine and not just the exhaust ports on one side, but down the carb and deeper, you should be fine.

Reaction score
First Name
nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I guess I'll be alright. I just don't like it sitting for so long. I don't have the valve bodies on the trans. I gotta drop it and rebuild it.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
All engines have moisture in the crankcase atmosphere to some degree (and it eventually gets into the lube oil as well). Automotive engines are not equipped with a lube oil purifier - like a steam turbine. They don't need one, any entrained moisture is boiled off when the engine reaches operating temperature. After it is boiled out of the oil, it rises up through the crankcase. When it reaches the valve covers, it is sucked into the carburetor throat via the PCV valve/hose. It then just is vented to atmosphere along with the exhaust gases.

That is the reason that it is harmful to only run your engine for short periods - the moisture never gets boiled off and the lube oil quickly becomes contaminated.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When in doubt, crack open the oil pans drain plug, it there is any water in the cranking case, it will seep out first, around the threads of said drain plug. If all You get is oil, tighten the plug and fire`er`up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP