need help with 383 stroker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84tantank

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
hey guys i just picked up an 81 gmc with a 383 stroker. i dont know much about the engine as far as what heads or cam are in it.

So the problem im having is when i first got it fired up it would just cough and die as soon as i put it in gear. so i changed the carb to an edelbrock 600cfm, then changed spark plugs that seemed to help alot but it still didnt let me open up the throttle at stop signs or from an idle without backfiring through the carb.
So today i changed the spark plug wires , cap and rotor and now it doesnt even want to idle or even fire up like it used to.

any help or advice would be appreciated thanks in advance.:shrug:

heviarti

Reaction score
First Name
Buck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
383 Stroker
I'd be dead sure I got the wires in the right order. sometimes people do crazy stuff like put 1 somewhere other than straight ahead.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Check ignition timing when you get it running again, and check all vacuum hoses for a tight fit and no cracks. Also check for a vacuun leak at the carb base gasket and make sure all the unused carb vacuum ports are capped or plugged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody