Need help... w Oil Pressure Sender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
I have a 1988 K5 Blazer and I put headers on it...
You must be registered for see images

This jimmy rig is not working its leaking even with plumbers tape/teflon... Its already failed me once before coming back from my drill weekend. I replaced the bell again on this with the arm and it still leaks. So this system really sucks. Remember I have the TBI cut off up top on my 1988 and below I have this oil pressure sending unit.

PS 155 here fits above my oil filter well but the resistance does not match the stock bell shaped unit. Please help me figure this out I want a good practical fix for such a common modification to these vehicles with 350 Chevys. Thanks in advance and gosh I haven't posted here in a long time.

Went to my local GM dealer and the parts guy wont help me either... This I why I don't mod everything on my truck because I am no engineer.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I put headers on my '88 and never had to mess with the sending units?

So what leaks? The sender or the tubing?

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
I put headers on my '88 and never had to mess with the sending units?

So what leaks? The sender or the tubing?

The tubing... The sender gave once already too.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Classic suburban
Engine Size
I have a set of hooker computation headers. They fit great and had no clearance issues. I also used new motor mounts and they had the 2 1/2" collector. But the factory oil pressure switch fit perfectly with the little shield thing and all on my truck. I recommend using silicone on the ends instead of Teflon tape. It might work better. Worth a shot since it's out. If it still leaks if go to the local salvage yard and get a fitting correct for it. So there is no way for it to leak. That's just my opinion. Good luck though! It's a pain to not have a small block chevy leak oil or some sort of fluid lol.

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
I have a set of hooker computation headers. They fit great and had no clearance issues. I also used new motor mounts and they had the 2 1/2" collector. But the factory oil pressure switch fit perfectly with the little shield thing and all on my truck. I recommend using silicone on the ends instead of Teflon tape. It might work better. Worth a shot since it's out. If it still leaks if go to the local salvage yard and get a fitting correct for it. So there is no way for it to leak. That's just my opinion. Good luck though! It's a pain to not have a small block chevy leak oil or some sort of fluid lol.

Mine are hooker headers too but I dont know the model they're the long type I bought em off a friend before he PCSed to Florida. I know the 1990's Chevies had the sensor up top that did both these jobs.

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/archive/index.php/t-51741.html See what member Skandolis says?

Skandolis: "in the late 80s/early 90s a lot of the blocks had the oil pressure sensor by the oil filter, the one by the distributor was for the tbi to shut off the fuel if the oil pressure dropped, what i usually do is get a later model sensor/plugin for that sensor and repin it to run the oil pressure as well, (the later model sensors did both jobs, oil pressure gauge and fuel shutoff too) you could also add a tee to the top port and run both of them that way. GL"

What he mean by "repin?" If I get get a later model sensor and make it work I'd do this... Just plug off the oil filter thread in. The age old saying here is if it ain't broke don't fix it... lol...

I was hoping I'd get a better answer here because you guys are enthusiasts of these vehicles.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's nothing wrong with using the tubing/angle fittings, the factory often did it too. I'd recommend just buying fittings from some place besides where you got those ones.

Also, I generally don't use any type of sealer on pipe threads, I think it actually seals better in most cases.

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
There's nothing wrong with using the tubing/angle fittings, the factory often did it too. I'd recommend just buying fittings from some place besides where you got those ones.

Also, I generally don't use any type of sealer on pipe threads, I think it actually seals better in most cases.

So no Silicone then? I wanna try that if I am going to go back with this ****.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah but it still won't do any good if the fitting is defective. Occasionally cheap fittings are made slightly undersize to save costs, and the fitting will bottom out before the threads seal correctly.

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Going to brain storm on the next plan of attack here with a technician Tuesday I couldn't even find a 45 degree angle fitting locally... Wish me luck guys!

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L

My hookers are competition headers too...

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Classic suburban
Engine Size
They are great headers. I had no clearance problems at all. Perfect fit. So did you get the leak figured out or still giving you fits?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69