Need help identifing items on engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
HI, could someone tell me what these are? They are located on the back side of the 327 that I just swapped out for 5.3 and I am trying to figure the wiring out as the person I had swap the engines didn't label them....so pissed right now!!

You must be registered for see images attach

I thought one of the above was for the engine temp but then I saw this on the drivers side of the engine.

Now I think that is for the temp??

Please help this lost soul!!

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
On the first pic the one the right is oil pressure sending unit and bottom pic is coolant temp sending unit.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
x2 for retro both are oil pressure sending units/switches and the other is temp switch/sender.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I'd guess the oil sender on the right is for the gauge? And the one on the left is probably a switch for the choke heater circuit.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'd guess the oil sender on the right is for the gauge? And the one on the left is probably a switch for the choke heater circuit.

Choke circuit on carbs, fuel pump interrupt on EFI.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
WOW, thanks guys! So this brings up more questions. I had the harness wiring place stub out for these things in the original harness. When looking at the plug for the oil pressure on the right in the first pic it has three wires going into it

The light green wire on the top doesn't lead to anywhere, I think it was plugged into the pressure valve on the right in the firs pic, the other two go to the gauge cluster, an I correct on the light green wire?

thanks again!

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
One more thing, is there any way to check these wires at the cluster? Can I hook each individual wire to some power and watch the needle on the cluster jump to tell what it is to???

Thanks

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That plug is deceiving. The dark blue and the light blue are spliced together within the plastic casing of the plug.

For sure that 3 wire plug goes to the oil pressure "switch" (the one with 2 prongs). It closes when engine oil pressure reaches about 10 psi and supplies power to the choke heater to start opening the choke.

The other - bell shaped - one is a "sender". It provides a variable resistance to ground depending on the oil pressure (0-60 psi). That variable resistance is used to position the oil presure gauge on the dash. It connects to the cluster via a tan wire.

Both of these units have distinct terminations. The switch for choke heater operation is supplied from the factory with a wrap-around locking cover.

The tan wire to the sender - single terminal - has a nice tight boot at it's termination that is designed to snap into the groove on the top of the bell.

Attachments

• 81-87_V8_engine.jpg
    81-87_V8_engine.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 68
  • HPIM1537.jpg
    HPIM1537.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That plug is deceiving. The dark blue and the light blue are spliced together within the plastic casing of the plug.

For sure that 3 wire plug goes to the oil pressure "switch" (the one with 2 prongs). It closes when engine oil pressure reaches about 10 psi and supplies power to the choke heater to start opening the choke.

The other - bell shaped - one is a "sender". It provides a variable resistance to ground depending on the oil pressure (0-60 psi). That variable resistance is used to position the oil presure gauge on the dash. It connects to the cluster via a tan wire.

Both of these units have distinct terminations. The switch for choke heater operation is supplied from the factory with a wrap-around locking cover.

The tan wire to the sender - single terminal - has a nice tight boot at it's termination that is designed to snap into the groove on the top of the bell.

I'd like to meet you in person some day and shake your hand sir.

Posted From Hell

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Dang!!! Thanks for the info! You all are awesome!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody