Need antenna help for 1991 V2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
I have a 91 V2500. It has the factory fender antenna. My question is, the antenna lead is only about 12 inches long and has what looks like a female RCA type plug on the end. The section of wire that connects to the radio is missing. Does anyone know what type of cable (part number, etc.) goes between the radio and the antenna? Here is a link to what the part I'm talking about looks like. I'm stumped. Thanks.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?Ntt=Antenna Extension Cable

Is it just a normal antenna extension cable that connects the antenna to the radio? Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I wished I looked at that when I had the heater box out. I will be watching this. I am putting a radio in mine right now but am not that far into it to see that connection. I thought it just one cable running to the radio. You sure it is the factory antenna?

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
Yep, it's factory alright. I thought the same thing about having only one cable from the antenna to the radio but I've looked it up online and this is the way it's set up. I also looked at the LMC catalog and it shows this type of antenna with an extension cable sold separately. See part number 36-2127 in the bottom right corner of the page in the link below.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csb/full.aspx?Page=182

What I want to know is, is this part just a standard antenna extension cable? I can't see spending $25 to get it at LMC if it's just a regular cable and I can get it anywhere for $10 less.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Just measure it up, the diameter of the plug and pin and try to match it. Also some here are parting out and may have a used one for you. Looking at mine right now and it looks like a standard size to me for those years. Seems like newer ones have the smaller diameter. I don't know where the year break is. Matter of fact the radio I am installing is a 92 GM model year and its the smaller diameter plug so I had to order an adapter. Hope this helps. Hopefully Retro will chime in on this.

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
Thanks for the information. I'm thinking its just a regular diameter antenna extension cable and the female end of the extension cable attaching into the plug at the end of the antenna.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That's what I looks like to me in that LMC pic. Good luck. :)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I've seen the cable your looking for before and It looks like a regular cable both ends if I remember right. I'll have to look through some boxes of stuff and see if I have one loose. I took a 91 suburban completely apart and thought I saved everything off the whole truck except the frame and shell of body. If not I have a 90 K5 and 89 suburban out in the back lot that may have one to check out

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
Thanks for all the help everyone, especially the diagrams. I'm sure this will lead me in the right direction.

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
If I'm seeing things correctly, the piece that is between 41 & 42 is actually one end of the cable. When I took drafting classes, way back in high school, we would draw the ends of items and leave out the middle part in order to utilize the maximum amount of space on the page. So, I don't think it's an insulator but just an the ends (one for the antenna and the other for the radio).

itsallhistory

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7 V*
I solved the problem. I found an 89 at a small parts yard in my area. The cable is specifically made for the antenna so a generic antenna extension cable from Wally World wouldn't work. The guy at the salvage yard let me have the entire antenna assembly for $20. Not bad considering LMC wanted $30+ just for the extension cable.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Cool man. I'll have to look for that next trip to the junkyard and grab a few to have available here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpickett1981