Need Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00cls1camaross

Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Truck Year
Truck Model
Camaro SS
Engine Size
5.7L
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here! I have been interested in a square body for some time now and I decided to sell my new truck, get rid of my car payment, and buy a square body. I will have 7k-8k up front. My ideal truck would be a K20 Crew Cab. Unfortunately there are not many available. I stumbled across this on craigslist.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4456350050.html

Needs a lot of work, but I was wondering what your thoughts were regarding building a truck from scratch. I am fairly mechanically inclined, I have some buddies who do steering and another who is a mechanic on the side so I feel like I would be able to get a lot of the build done on my own.

What do you think it would cost/take to get this project done? I have no idea what the interior looks like, but ill assume it has nothing.

Thanks!

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
IMO your better off starting with a full all together truck, god only knows what this truck is missing. In my expericence its alot eaiser to restore/drive the piss out of an all original truck then one that has been screwed with.

that all being said if your looking for a fun PROJECT that you want to/willing to do alot of work too a truck like that is isnt a bad deal all all

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I agree. That is a hands-down project. Do not expect to drive it any time soon. You would be much better off finding a running/driving/registered truck and going from there. If you are open to options there always seem to be C/K 30s for sale, although usually duallies. I have seen several good running ones for under 3k. That would leave you with plenty of $$ room to fix one up and make it real nice. Since it sounds like this would be your only vehicle, the last thing you want is a project. Find yourself a good runner and cut your teeth on it while driving. Its more fun that way anyway!

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
while that will get you the cab and frame you want it needs allot of work. imho they want to much money for that. if it was me I would pay maybe 500 for the cab and chassis. highdesertranger

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Any reason for wanting a 3/4 ton vs a 1 ton crewcab ? that craigslist truck is only worth $500 just like highdesertrange said. if the shell and frame are rust free and straight, could be worth picking up as a solid base to start with, but then you will need more donor trucks or plenty of trips to the junkyard for everything that is missing. That said a 1 ton frame would be a better base to start with even if for some reason you want a 10 bolt front end under it.

I am personally looking for a good 3/4-1 ton long box 4x4 pick up to start from frame up fresh paint all the way eventually swapping over everything good from my daily driver. I am sick and tired of chasing wires and looking at my frame wishing it was coated with por 15

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
also a 1ton 4x4 has dana 60 front/14 bolt full floater rear and np205 transfercase

which is just the bee knees

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
All crew cabs have the stronger 1-ton frame. But, there were no K20 crew cabs after '76 (and I'm still unsure about '76 and earlier, might have been built after leaving the factory), just C20 crew cabs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus