Need a turn signal socket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris87

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I need a front turn signal socket for my 87 chevy. I bought one at advance auto but it would not lock into place. The one I have is three wires and white plastic. I checked two major truck web sites and couldnt find it. Should I just go to parts geek?
Thanks.

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
I usually search out undamaged sockets from older GM vehicles at the wrecking yard. They used a number of different styles, but it's fairly easy to tell them apart.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'd like to know of a new good quality source as well. Some of you know at the shop we do classic / older rig work and see a fair number of squares, and we are yet to find a decent front socket turn socket for the later squares.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I need a front turn signal socket for my 87 chevy. I bought one at advance auto but it would not lock into place. The one I have is three wires and white plastic. I checked two major truck web sites and couldnt find it. Should I just go to parts geek?
Thanks.
I could mayne get you one at the junkyard next time I go.
Theres a truck there that i just got all the lights off.
Do you mean the plastic part the bulb sits vin and turns into place?
And also which light, the side marker, or the big square one under the headlight in single light trucks?

chris87

Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Thats kind of you. I'm gonna try to repair the one I have. Its actually in good condition, but the ground tab broke off. I'm thinking to get the advance auto socket and use the ground wire assembly. If it doesnt work I may ask for your help.
Thanks.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you come up empty, let me know. My harness - aside from a putz hacking and cutting sections out - was wire-wise in good condition. I found new GM pigtails/sockets so am making a new one. Probably have what you need and then some.

:hat:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Can you show me your original socket? Is it a 1156 (or which ever is the 3 wire one) which is a push and twist with an offset (possibly) or even little nubs that make it hold in, then two contacts on the bottom for 2 filaments.

You must be registered for see images attach

these are tail lamps but does it somewhat look like the one on the left(the right one is the same generally speaking but the wires that went in was only 2 not 3)

or does it look different?
Every socket most likely used by GM exists in the dorman help section at the stores with large ones. Its not a 100% but its a pretty good liklihood. if your bulb needs a ground and its a twisty, you can cheat by exposing wire, and pinning it between the wall socket it goes in andrunning it out like that, because the part that the two nubs hold the bulb in is the ground for the bulb it just runs to a wire.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Okay, Yeah I figured it had to be that. Mine are still in fair shape, hopefully. It's been awhile since I had to change out a bulb in one of those. @SquareRoot is the little email address at the bottom of your post for the sockets, the site? I.E. wwwclipsandfasteners.com? Or the one in your insert there, "Wiring Harness Connectors & Automotive Wire Socket Assemblies"?

The only one's I have found was from Advance auto Parts was a headlight socket, and came with the wires on it to. But no turn signal sockets.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's the same site. I just shared from the sockets section of the site.

Rusty Shackleford

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
5.7 L
I had to replace both of mine as the ground tabs inside the socket broke off. The bulb has the two little nubs on them that are off set - one higher on the bulb and one near the bottom (a typical dual filament bulb as mentioned above) The grooves for the bulb nubs in the sockets I bought (supposed to be Gm replacements) were not the proper depth. I used a dremel to make the grooves deep enough so I could push the bulb in and twist to lock. Works fine. I contacted the company and told them of the situation so maybe they could watch for this problem. Didn't hear anything back and I, of course, don't know if this problem was one off or a major concern as I haven't had to buy any additional sockets.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I had to replace both of mine as the ground tabs inside the socket broke off. The bulb has the two little nubs on them that are off set - one higher on the bulb and one near the bottom (a typical dual filament bulb as mentioned above) The grooves for the bulb nubs in the sockets I bought (supposed to be Gm replacements) were not the proper depth. I used a dremel to make the grooves deep enough so I could push the bulb in and twist to lock. Works fine. I contacted the company and told them of the situation so maybe they could watch for this problem. Didn't hear anything back and I, of course, don't know if this problem was one off or a major concern as I haven't had to buy any additional sockets.
they probably didnt care (sad)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris