Need a little info on my NP205

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevy_Jake

Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab
Engine Size
Hello,
I just resealed and gasketed my 1983 Chevy NP205, but have a couple questions. First, should the two shift pistons move freely? I tried tapping them with a rubber mallet, but they don't seem to move. I don't want to hit them too hard. (I should mention that the transfer case is out of the truck and is on the bench. Secondly, there is an electrical connection on top of the casing that had a plug on it. Is this for the 4 wheel drive indicator light?
Thanks for your help.
Jake

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You should be able to turn the input shaft a little while tapping the rods to get them to move, this allows the teeth to align with the synchro. Second, the switch on top is indeed for the 4wd indicator light.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
You should be able to turn the input shaft a little while tapping the rods to get them to move, this allows the teeth to align with the synchro. Second, the switch on top is indeed for the 4wd indicator light.

shouldnt the 2 manual shafts have to move insync with each other while rotating the input shaft?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You can twin stick the 205 for front digs, so they can move independently of each other, but I think there is something internal that needs changed to make that work so you may be right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77