Mystery Coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Won't fix his problem, but whenever I build an engine, I install brass freeze plugs.
They will NOT rust out and leak, and cause a headache such as this.
Been doing that for over 35 years and never once had an issue, it's a do it once thing and forget about it.
I did get a set of brass ones from Summit just trying to figure out how I am going to do this. Will definitely go that route though. Are you sealing them with anything in particular?

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Did you replace the broken O2 sensor as well?

The head gasket sealer is going to cause more problems then it will fix. It is very unlikely to clog an actual leak, but does a great job of clogging all the small passages in the radiator, thermostat, and heater core. RTV is also unlikely to seal a leak in that spot, as it is pressurized. Your best bet is to pull the motor out and do it right the first time. It will be faster in the long run than trying to hack a fix in there. Its probably going to cost you a weekend to do it in a driveway.

Yeah for sure this is my only grocery getter and the store is about .5 miles away, I don't have another vehicle. Trying to plan for when I can have the time to pull the motor and looking for a way to patch it for a few weeks until I find that time :)

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
I did get a set of brass ones from Summit just trying to figure out how I am going to do this. Will definitely go that route though. Are you sealing them with anything in particular?
I have installed them dry many times with never a problem or leak, and have also used a thin film of Permatex aviation grade sealer on a few blocks.
Your choice which way to go, but the best part is you will never have to worry about them again.
Other than initial cost (not much more than steel) I don't see why more builders don't use them.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Duplicate post.

Last edited: