my cnc milling machine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwood

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have an idea that could make money but its about 4 x 4 by about 2 foot long or so, made out of plastic. Or a mold could be possibly milled out to produce it.

I would like to hear more.

mwood

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The link above your last post there

Yep your too quick for me. ..

Looks interesting. Any idea on how it will Mount without permanent damage to the dash? That will be the key to the whole thing.

mwood

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I saw a guy make cool silverado emblem. The lettering was in a block format and instead of the star on top he had a cummins emblem on top. You could put a bowtie on it or get creative.

Emblems are a very competitive market. I have thought about getting into making emblems but never took the plunge. If you have a specific design worked up I could make time to try one.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well if it was full width to both vents I was thinking you could contour the rear face of it match the face of the dash so it would accept the dash trim nicely and you could use the mounting holes from the trim to secure/fasten it. And if the AC vents are moved in the rear face you could tunnel or tube to the vents and maybe have some kind of 1 or 2 inch sleeve on each side that inserts into the vent holes that would help support and alignment and vent seal. Very simple idea and product but complicated to build. Luke tried to make it out of fiberglass but it went stale and other things took priority. Imagine pumping these out of a mold in plastic.

mwood

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well if it was full width to both vents I was thinking you could contour the rear face of it match the face of the dash so it would accept the dash trim nicely and you could use the mounting holes from the trim to secure/fasten it. And if the AC vents are moved in the rear face you could tunnel or tube to the vents and maybe have some kind of 1 or 2 inch sleeve on each side that inserts into the vent holes that would help support and alignment and vent seal. Very simple idea and product but complicated to build. Luke tried to make it out of fiberglass but it went stale and other things took priority. Imagine pumping these out of a mold in plastic.

That's exactly what I had in mind. Plastic is hard to mold but with a proper working proto type you could get someone to make these and get royalties.

I thought it was you idea at first. I will need to contact the original designer before I proceed.

mwood

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That's exactly what I had in mind. Plastic is hard to mold but with a proper working proto type you could get someone to make these and get royalties.

I thought it was you idea at first. I will need to contact the original designer before I proceed.

Sorry if I came across harsh there. Didn't mean to say or imply that you couldn't take part in the project if I get it going. Just want to make sure we have the original designers blessing first.

I won't be able to use my truck for the test subject. ...no factory ac and no dash vents...

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
None taken at all friend. He brought the idea up and that is technically my design. I'd just be happy to see somebody actually create it.

mwood

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
None taken at all friend. He brought the idea up and that is technically my design. I'd just be happy to see somebody actually create it.

Ok cool... im brain storming the prototype...its a little out of my comfort zone but I have come to realize that my comfort zone has not allowed me to quit my day job yet. Trying to find a suitable resin to pour over a mold... If I were able to get some one to like the design plastic injection would be the way to go.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ok cool... im brain storming the prototype...its a little out of my comfort zone but I have come to realize that my comfort zone has not allowed me to quit my day job yet. Trying to find a suitable resin to pour over a mold... If I were able to get some one to like the design plastic injection would be the way to go.

I hear ya. Just think of all those plastic injected center hump console cup holder things you see laying on piles on the auto store shelves. I was thinking the same thing with this idea but in reality these trucks and the accessories we used to take for granted are slowly and surely disappearing. The tube grilles, tube bumpers and roll bars, plain old old school mud flaps, running boards, deflectors, all that stuff is fading away. I am really happy to have been there to see it but very sad to see it slip away, like other things in life.

Anyway, if you can't make that, can you make me a legit K.I.T.T. scanner bar with that thing for a reasonable price? lol

Another thing of the very many I used to see listed in the JC Whitney catalog for years and now it is becoming a memory. :(

mwood

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Anyway, if you can't make that, can you make me a legit K.I.T.T. scanner bar with that thing for a reasonable price? lol :(

Haha...just realized the one in ur avatar is just a graphic. if you really do want one ican make pretty much any thing.

And I know what you mean about the accessories disapearing... can't even find an airfilter housing at the zone anymore...

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
What about a custom 4x4 shift knob? Or a aluminum holdown for the 4x4 boot.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear

Damn, im surprised he didnt say to use selftappers!!!!!!!!!!!!

mwood

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What about a custom 4x4 shift knob? Or a aluminum holdown for the 4x4 boot.

+1

I need a lathe to do a shift knob, the boot hold down I was thinking about myself just the other day as I was driving down the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pistol85