My 87' sierra won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ticaouette

Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
v25 / 2500
Engine Size
6.2l
Hi, I am a new owner of a 1987 Sierra Classic 6.2l Diesel.

I don't know much about diesels, It's my first one, so I thought I could get help and advice here.

I bought it a month ago, it has been sitting for an unknown amount of time. Started it cold, worked great, drove it home. On the way, problems started. The engine stalled 3 times, like it's starving fuel even if the two fuel tanks are full. When I managed to park it, it stalled but that time, it wouldn't start again. There is no air in the fuel lines, It's the only thing I had time to check before going back to College. I suspect it might be the fuel filter but I cannot verify that because I'm out of town for College.

Does anyone has better ideas than me.

Your help, time and experience is much appreciated.

Thank you

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Hi, I am a new owner of a 1987 Sierra Classic 6.2l Diesel.

I don't know much about diesels, It's my first one, so I thought I could get help and advice here.

I bought it a month ago, it has been sitting for an unknown amount of time. Started it cold, worked great, drove it home. On the way, problems started. The engine stalled 3 times, like it's starving fuel even if the two fuel tanks are full. When I managed to park it, it stalled but that time, it wouldn't start again. There is no air in the fuel lines, It's the only thing I had time to check before going back to College. I suspect it might be the fuel filter but I cannot verify that because I'm out of town for College.

Does anyone has better ideas than me.

Your help, time and experience is much appreciated.

Thank you

Change the fuel filter.

It is most likely the mechanical fuel pump located on the bottom, front, passenger side of the engine block, has crapped out on you. replace it and I bet it starts.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
did it start?

Ticaouette

Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
v25 / 2500
Engine Size
6.2l
I'm out of town right now for college, but as soon as I can try it I will

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
When installing the new pump squirt some assembly lube inside the new fuel pump above the diaphragm where the tension spring is and apply some to where the new arm contacts the fuel pump rod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666