My 1984 K5 Plow Teeruk 6.2 Rear Diffy Is Bad...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
So so a question for the rear end masses... since i see the oil sticking to the springs like lucas, does lucas make a posi additive and should i use it or will the normal posi additive from autozone be sufficient?

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
You do not remove the carrier or have to reset anything. These lockers only replace the side and spider gears. You simply put it in and are good to go!

I would still want to be sure all the loose metal had been cleaned out of the bearings. But, given enough brākleen, he might get lucky.

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
You do not remove the carrier or have to reset anything. These lockers only replace the side and spider gears. You simply put it in and are good to go!

I'm afraid my differential is too full of metal. As much as I'd like to install the Spartan, I'm just going to put in new spider and crown gears after I flush the guts as best I can

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Mine cost me $250 from craigslist, a 3 hour round trip and it looks clean and good inside. Im happy. Just unsure if its an after market unit in it or not...

You must be registered for see images attach

Nice score! Pretty sure that is an aftermarket piece. What gear ratio?

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
I haven't taken anything apart yet, but do I have 28 or 30 spline axles? Could it be one or the other? Or does RockAuto just have too much listed?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I haven't taken anything apart yet, but do I have 28 or 30 spline axles? Could it be one or the other? Or does RockAuto just have too much listed?

There was 2 choices but idk how ya tell. I know for sure my last rear was a 30

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
I guess I'll have to pull the axles tomorrow, and start the cleaning process.

I just got a call from my tenants, it's 15 degrees outside, and the outside heating
oil tank filter froze, again, so no hot water. All fixed

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Everything @Blue Ox said, I'll X2 that. I'd still go with the Spartan locker if it were me, especially since it appears to a designated plow truck. Don't sweat the cleaning out of metal. YES, you're going to get some metal out of it but once you get those spiders out, you'll have alot more room to spray Brake Clean in there and flush all that **** to the bottom of the diff house. Then just scoop it out with your hand. Blow it out with an air compressor after the brake clean rinse and digging it out of the bottom, them get a strong magnet and push it around in there best you can and any tiny stuff left will get on the magnet and pull it out. For real, you're going to 95% of that crap out of it. The other very fine stuff will just become part of your gear oil and being a used rear axle, I can promise your tolerences are already loose enough to handle some very fine glitter floating around in the oil, and you can also lay a small magnet in the bottom of the diff house to keep all that crap to the bottom if you want too. So don't let the clean out scare you. You know it's got miles on it and it's time is limited before it needs to come apart for all new seals and bearings.

So I'd go with the Spartan now. That will help your traction imensley and in actually should extend the life by spreading the strain to 2 wheels instead of just one and allowing 1 wheel to get away. Then when it does go for good and gives up the ghost, that Spartan will still be good and I'd put it right back into the new axle build. Should get through this winter for sure and maybe even next winter if you put oil back in it. you obviously need a pinion seal as it is. So I'd go with the Spartan now, and top off the gear oil once a month to get through the season. You might even decide this spring or summer to take it out and build it with new seals and bearings and reset up all the lash on the Ring and Pinion if the gears still look good. In short, just get it together NOW to get through this season at least. Then when you're not under any pressure, like say late spring or summer, take your time and put the new bearings in and reset the lash.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hopefully someone else will comment on the spool. I've personally never owned a vehicle with one. Hyperlube is an oil additive that has been around a long long time. The short version is it's a viscosity improver, that is very sticky. I've added it to noisy diffs, and engines that leak and burn oil. I've always had good results and never seen it cause any problems. I currently own a jeep with pinion bearing noise. It was pretty bad when I bought it with 200k on the clock. I changed the fluid and added about a pint of hyperlube to it then. Now it has 260,000 miles on it and it's still going. It's still a little noisy but quieter than when I bought it. In general I'm not a fan of additives, but when you know there's an issue and your trying to prolong its life a $10 bottle of hyperlube isn't much risk. I also once had an old Toyota pickup that drank engine oil so bad it would fill the sky with smoke. I use to pour an entire 32oz bottle in the crankcase and top it off with 20w50 at each change. It settle the smoking to a tolerable level and I drove that thing before eventually giving it to a friend. Hopefully that helps

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
Can someone provide me with a link to hyperloop? One that I found on Amazon was for engine oil

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Can someone provide me with a link to hyperloop? One that I found on Amazon was for engine oil
Can't provide a link, however it's similar to Lucas oil additive, with a consistency like honey. Very thick and sticky substance

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
28 Spline for an 84. 30 spline started in like 89ish or so, maybe 87 was transistion year, I don't recall to be exact, but I know you're safe with an 84 if it's OEM to order 28 spline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL