My 1984 K5 Plow Teeruk 6.2 Rear Diffy Is Bad...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, is up to 87 is 28 spline, 88 transitioned to 30 spline. Now I've also heard some early 88 Burbs were still 28 spline since they used the Burbs to finish off the 28 splines that GM still had left.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, is up to 87 is 28 spline, 88 transitioned to 30 spline. Now I've also heard some early 88 Burbs were still 28 spline since they used the Burbs to finish off the 28 splines that GM still had left.
So that ebay deal I linked you to is $50 cheaper and FREE Shipping. Lunchbox lockers normally DO NOT require the additive. The additive is usually required for a limited slip diff that has clutches in it. Of course it can't hurt and not a bad idea, but I'm fairly certain it's not required. Just follow the directions for the correct gear lube is most important, as far as Weight and GL4 or GL5 requirement etc.

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
As I recall, it's the same deal with the splines in the front axle. I prepared a used front axle after I broke mine, and then they look identical, but there's a slight difference of two splines. What a pain

In 1988, GM introduced the ifs truck, and they did some tweaking with the square body Blazer suburban and 1 tons, and then in 89 they tweaked them again with the newer weatherpack wiring harnesses, new interior Etc

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Just as I suspected.. total destruction lol. She really went on ya too! That's some good carnage.
I just had to say something about carnage!! lol it brings me no joy to say I have beaten you at rear axle carnage. Not long after I talked about it too lol.

This happened to me this week, Thursday. This is what I found after pulling my diff cover off, untouched just removed the cover, after my own incident. Not quite sure what happened yet, but I'll dig into it a little more soon, and post the story on my thread for my Burban, so I'm not hijacking your thread.

Now you can feel a little bit better about your situation :Stupid Me::Angry:

You must be registered for see images attach

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Can someone provide me with a link to hyperloop? One that I found on Amazon was for engine oil

On the back of the bottle it has directions for adding it to manual gear boxes and diffs or at least the bottles use to. I've always just used about a pint in diffs added to the fluid. But yea it's the same stuff for engines and manual trans and gear boxes.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just had to say something about carnage!! lol it brings me no joy to say I have beaten you at rear axle carnage. Not long after I talked about it too lol.

This happened to me this week, Thursday. This is what I found after pulling my diff cover off, untouched just removed the cover, after my own incident. Not quite sure what happened yet, but I'll dig into it a little more soon, and post the story on my thread for my Burban, so I'm not hijacking your thread.

Now you can feel a little bit better about your situation :Stupid Me::Angry:

Jup, That's carnage. Full carrier replacement for you. You know what happened there? It appears to me your retainer bolt broke and the center pin was allowed to drop out and when it did, it grabbed a hold of the diff housing and then broke the carrier.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Jup, That's carnage. Full carrier replacement for you. You know what happened there? It appears to me your retainer bolt broke and the center pin was allowed to drop out and when it did, it grabbed a hold of the diff housing and then broke the carrier.
That's what it looks like to me, but as I posted those photos I had just realized then that I didn't even find the bolt, in all of the "excitement" lol.

I looked at it's hole in the carrier and the head was for sure gone, I couldn't see much cuz of how the carrier was oriented. But crazy thing is I didn't find a single piece of the bolt yet. I still have to drain my oil pan and look in there, I only took a quick look at the diff to do a damage assessment. There was none of it left in the center pin either.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
That's what it looks like to me, but as I posted those photos I had just realized then that I didn't even find the bolt, in all of the "excitement" lol.

I looked at it's hole in the carrier and the head was for sure gone, I couldn't see much cuz of how the carrier was oriented. But crazy thing is I didn't find a single piece of the bolt yet. I still have to drain my oil pan and look in there, I only took a quick look at the diff to do a damage assessment. There was none of it left in the center pin either.
Hhhmmmm interesting! Somebody use something other then a bolt? :happy175:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I found a picture with the bolt in!! 10,000 miles ago it was still in there hahaha

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Looks pretty nice in there too
It was pretty clean when I changed fluids 10,0000 miles ago, no gunk or anything, other than the surface rust from not being soaked in gear oil since it sat for a couple years. Same thing this time, other than the metal shrapnel lol, so I think I just have **** luck haha.

Last edited:

CORVAIRWILD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
UGLYTRUK
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
I never opened mine in the 10 or so years I've owned it

Forum statistics