Motorvation Stage 2 Chip advantages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
x2 on all of @4WDKC posts. ZIF socket is way to go. It changes the number of pins by two I think so then you can use a very common chip - SST 27SF512. Dave W (that's his user name, his company's name is Old School EFI) on Gearhead is the guy to talk to for the ZIF socket. On top of the socket conversion, then you need to get a moates chip burner and ALDL cable. I know it's fairly simple to build a cable, but even simpler to buy one from Moates like I did. Once you have that squared away, then it's 5 minutes to burn a chip and another five to install it in the ECM. (assuming you have the ECM detached from behind the glove box like I do currently). After all that hardware stuff is figured out then the hard part comes in - actual tuning. If all you're doing is tuning out EGR then it's pretty easy - just change the RPM where it turns on to a ridiculously high number. Since I put in more displacement (383), better heads (vortec), increased compression (9.5), and slightly bigger cam there has been a lot I've had to learn and still a ways to go. It's driveable, but not perfect yet.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Thanks for the input guys. I am looking into it all. I would like to do it right and hang on to the reliability... For a cable I am going to make my own DB9 to CAT5 converter. Then I will tie in a CAT5 receptical on the back side of the OBD port so I can just plug right on in. Just need to get home and get all my other stuff going first then slide in my diagnostic port .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10