Motor stalling when slowing to turn or stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
This happened yesterday a few times and not exactly sure why. I have a 350 with a Edelbrock 1406 carb with an electric fuel pump and a nice large canister fuel filter before the pump. All the fuel lines have been changed. The truck sat for a couple years before I got my hands on it. Almost wondering if there is something getting into the filter causing the engine to stall. I can always get it going again after I sit for a minute or two. Makes sense if the sediment (or whatever it is) has some time to fall away from the suction in the filter. The filter itself is a sock type if that helps.

Any ideas?

Brandon

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Does it smell like it is rich? Do you have a fuel pressure regulator in the line to the carb? What is your timing set at? Is your vac advance hooked to ported or manifold vacuum?

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Does it smell like it is rich? Do you have a fuel pressure regulator in the line to the carb? What is your timing set at? Is your vac advance hooked to ported or manifold vacuum?

It didn't smell rich what so ever. I do not have a pressure regulator, nor do I know the timing but it runs like a champ. I believe the vac advance is hooked up to the manifold vacuum.

The tanks in the truck are original and I'm almost thinking that something got sucked up and clogged the filter, stalled the motor, then started again once it settled. I have a new tank on order and will be getting rid of the old system soon.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You can't run the Edelbrock carb (5-6 psi max) off an electric fuel pump (14 psi typical).

You need a fuel pressure regulator. It goes right in line with your filter.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
I had same issue on my 454. With the clutch in going through a turn it would kill the motor not everytime but enough to worry you aka no power brake or steering . I put a new carb on and it dosent happen anymore. So id start there take it apart clean it out puter back together and see how she does. Its an easy one to do not many parts inside ...just dont forget about the check ball in there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising