Mixing bowl air cleaner transition piece for TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
HyperTech makes something for TBI called the Power Charger. Basically eliminates the "choke ring" that goes around the injectors and provides a support for the air cleaner (and also creates a lot of restriction). Got the idea for a home made one on another site - here's what I did.

Bought set of four metal mixing bowls for $11.99 at a discount home goods store called Tuesday Morning. I got the second biggest one and my wife got the other three. The one I used nested perfectly under one of the ring insets of the OEM air cleaner's base. And I cut out the overhang of the base so the transition is smooth and I have the biggest opening possible into the mixing bowl. drilled a hole for the PCV breather tube in the mixing bowl. (Could also use a breather in the valve cover) And I cut the bottom flange off the choke ring, leaving about 1/8" to 1/4" of the ring, and then installed that into the base of the mixing bowl, in the hole that I had cut out. Gave the bowl something to rest on at the TB and also gave it rigidity, it was pretty flimsy with its bottom cut out
You must be registered for see images attach

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I have one of those things in my 94 tbi and it never did squat. Think it was called a tornado

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I have one of those things in my 94 tbi and it never did squat. Think it was called a tornado

Tornado is different, this is to unrestrict airflow into the tb, not create a vortex...Funny thing about this people will call the ghetto for using and actual salad bowl, I had a few do it in a psot I saw so I couldn't help respond with why do you think it has that name and what do you think they used to figure it out? You think they actually paid someone to create this and use it to test before production or would it make more sense to cut up a cheap salad bowl and testing.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
All I know is I spent $12 on a set of four mixing bowls - I took the second biggest and my wife got the other three so I’m out a few bucks and an hour or two of my time. No biggie if it doesn’t do much for me

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
All I know is I spent $12 on a set of four mixing bowls - I took the second biggest and my wife got the other three so I’m out a few bucks and an hour or two of my time. No biggie if it doesn’t do much for me

right, and the bowl you buy designed for this is $40.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I would have to rewatch the engine masters episode on air cleaners, but they proved on the westech dyno that by having a taller more vertical airflow going into the carburetor increases horse power over all other types of air intake systems.

I’m pretty sure the salad bowl even beat no air filter at all. It was definitely at the top of the heap.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I cut the bottom flange off the choke ring, leaving about 1/8" to 1/4" of the ring, and then installed that into the base of the mixing bowl, in the hole that I had cut out.

Looks familiar. I cut the bottom out of the bowl smaller than needed then opened it up with a disc sander a little bit at a time until the choke ring was a tight press fit. Only difference is I'm a cheap bastard and didn't buy the wife any bowls. One at the 99 cent store and done.

TerColHan

Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
That Engine Masters episode was great but I think the salad bowl was actually 2nd place. It was just a salad bowl with an open element lid on top. 1st place iirc was a 4 or 5 inch open element air cleaner with an open element lid. Their point was that your engine really wants to pull air down into it so it's significantly less efficient at pulling through an air filter open only on the sides and also that it was better a little vertical height would speed up teh charge which is why velocity stacks worked on race engines (and also why the salad bowl worked so well). Convniced me, I've got these on nearly everything I own that will fit one now.

Jppr26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 custom deluxe
Engine Size
350/5.7
Dude this is right up my alley, cheap, home build, and a wife pleaser. Definitely going to give thos a shot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512