Missouri safety inspection no CATS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
Cats are federal.you got to have them.but mufflers are not required.

Best truck design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chas
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C2500
Engine Size
I live in KC and haven't heard anything about Missouri state inspections in forever. So a couple of weeks ago I ask if they still had them. I was told when getting a new vehicle they are required. I guess I would give it a try and make sure EVERYTHING else works on the truck before you get there.

semperfiguy98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K20
Engine Size
For what it's worth... Even if you live in a state where your vehicle is subject to emissions inspection, if your truck didn't originally come equipped with cats, you won't be required to add aftermarket units to your truck. For example, my 86 k20 never came with cats from the factory, but I can still smog it in California (where it's registered) with no problem. Sometimes if I go to a different emissions testing station, they look at it funny until they read the emissions decal and see that cats weren't installed from the factory.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
For what it's worth... Even if you live in a state where your vehicle is subject to emissions inspection, if your truck didn't originally come equipped with cats, you won't be required to add aftermarket units to your truck. For example, my 86 k20 never came with cats from the factory, but I can still smog it in California (where it's registered) with no problem. Sometimes if I go to a different emissions testing station, they look at it funny until they read the emissions decal and see that cats weren't installed from the factory.

Sounds like someone needs to sell custom decals. Wink wink.

Did your truck come with other emissions equipment? Was it originally sold in Cali? I thought cats were mandated by the fed gubmint back in 1975. Sorry for all the questions, I just hear of so many people complaining about cali smog laws and it seems like your 86 truck would be highly sought after in the used market for a car guy.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I thought cats were mandated by the fed gubmint back in 1975.

The main thing to look for is weather or not the truck had HD emissions. My '85 has always been a CA truck. Due to the fact it was over 8600 GVW, it does not have cats and originally ran on regular fuel. I had an '80 3+3 and an '85 C20. All 3 trucks had 454 and fit this criteria. Although they don't have cats, the underside of the hood has a "mess" of emission hoses.
You must be registered for see images attach

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
The main thing to look for is weather or not the truck had HD emissions. My '85 has always been a CA truck. Due to the fact it was over 8600 GVW, it does not have cats and originally ran on regular fuel. I had an '80 3+3 and an '85 C20. All 3 trucks had 454 and fit this criteria. Although they don't have cats, the underside of the hood has a "mess" of emission hoses.

Thanks for clarifying. I learned something today lol.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Thats pretty cool because it changes with the times. In PA its 1974 or older. Now if you do a classic registration (at least 15 years old) you no longer need an emissions sticker (if you live in an emissions testing region). Antique registration (25 years or older) is exempt from emissions and safety inspections.

The laws in PA are crazy because the county north of me doesnt require emissions but mine does and I live about 10 minutes from the county line lol. I guess pollution stops on top of the mountain.
Pa does go by county population... where i live they do emissions but the county my mom lives in they dont do emissions

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Pa does go by county population... where i live they do emissions but the county my mom lives in they dont do emissions

Yea I know, if my county would just give Bethlehem to Lehigh County we would probably have lower taxes, crime, and no emissions lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood