1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Dip Stick

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Scott91370, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Scott91370

Scott91370 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Sierra1500
    Engine Size:
    Picked up an 82 with a 350 (don't know if ti the original block) and while looking around the engine bay this evening I noticed there was no oil dip stick. After searching I found the hole where it should go, it is a driver's side (pre-1980 if I am reading correctly). I was wondering if someone knew the length of the tube and dip stick? Are there different lengths depending on the engine? I ask because I saw at Auto Zone they had 3 listed for this year and two of them had different lengths.
    If someone has one they could take a few pics of and measure I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  2. SirRobyn0

SirRobyn0 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20
    Engine Size:
    Are you missing the tube to or just the dipstick? Mines an 84 and if no one else posts with measurements I'll measure mine as soon as I can for you, there might even be a part number on it if your lucky.

Rusty Nail likes this.
  3. Scott91370

Scott91370 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Sierra1500
    Engine Size:
    Both the tube and dipstick.
    I did some searching and it appears that this is not the original engine, I knew it had been rebuilt but not sure if it was replaced, it was. This is a pre-1980 model with a driver's side dipstick. I ordered one that had good info and I think it is the 19" setup, let's hope.

Thank you for the offer!!

4. SirRobyn0

SirRobyn0 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Rob
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C20
    Engine Size:
    Good glad you were able to figure it out. As it turns out I haven't been near my truck or seen it in the daylight all week. Humm, now you have me wondering about my truck. Mines a 1984, but it has a blue engine. I've heard a few different timelines, but basically it seems like they went blue in either 77 or 78 and were black by either 82 or 83. Oh and my dipstick is on the drivers side.

Scott91370 likes this.
  5. Backfoot100

Backfoot100 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Eddie
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C1500 Suburban
    Engine Size:
    Carbed 350
    I know I have a book at home that details this. I think GM moved the dip stick on the SBC a couple times during its life cycle.
    I believe it was on the drivers side until '86 when they went to a one piece RMS.