Metal flakes in transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I would think thats bad, but maybe it is just normal wear. Also fluid was sparkly for lack of a better term.

The flakes were maybe 1mm square.

Probably quickly heading for a rebuild?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
After some search this is probably normal since there is no filter

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You are always going to have a bit of shavings/metal bits in anything where gears mesh.

Install a magnetic plug if you can and it will help keep that under control. Also doing maintenance and changing the oil once in awhile is also a good idea especially if you have no idea the last time it was done.

Johhny

Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
400ci
What transfer case do you have? If it's a chain driven one that's converted (in my case the np203) make sure that you run it in 4wd every now and than to make sure all gear parts are oiled.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
208. I will do that

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
208. I will do that

Nope 208 has a screen filter and some silver in the ATF is normal but if you can actually see metal bits you have a problem!

A lot of guys just glob on the silicone when putting them together and some have put enough on to severely restrict the flow through that screen when it oozes out and into other places.

Good thing is they are fairly simple to work on. A rebuild kit with bearings, o rings and seals is about $120 and then what ever is broken on top of that.

The np241 is a solid replacement that is desgined a little better and 88-89s came with a speedo cable housing.

That being said your rig looks like you plan on abusing it a bit. So maybe its time to find an NP205 if your 208 turns out to be a lost cause.

I think the biggest problem with 208s and 241s is improperly adjusted shift linkage.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It should already have a magnet if its a 208

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
No plans to abuse, mostly highway usage in fact. Or ****** winter weather that my subaru w/ snow tires can't handle (not much BTW). Errands, hauling stuff etc.

I was considering a rebuild anyway, but that might get bumped up after I fix my front end issues. Was running thinking new chain too, unless that is a waste

And when I did drain it this time some silicone came out too, I was thinking sometime just use too much, but who knows with this truck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
No plans to abuse, mostly highway usage in fact. Or ****** winter weather that my subaru w/ snow tires can't handle (not much BTW). Errands, hauling stuff etc.

I was considering a rebuild anyway, but that might get bumped up after I fix my front end issues. Was running thinking new chain too, unless that is a waste

And when I did drain it this time some silicone came out too, I was thinking sometime just use too much, but who knows with this truck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The sooner you pull it apart the better. I like the shift on the fly feature of the chain drive transfer cases. especially for bombing around town.

You only need a new chain if there is play in the pins of each link.

I suggest pulling it apart before ordering any thing cause if its toast there is no pint in ordering the rebuild kit.

If enough parts are damaged it can be cheaper to just find a replacement.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
The sooner you pull it apart the better. I like the shift on the fly feature of the chain drive transfer cases. especially for bombing around town.

You only need a new chain if there is play in the pins of each link.

I suggest pulling it apart before ordering any thing cause if its toast there is no pint in ordering the rebuild kit.

If enough parts are damaged it can be cheaper to just find a replacement.

So you leave your hubs locked in the winter? I have never owned anything with manual locking hubs, so i am still learning

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So you leave your hubs locked in the winter? I have never owned anything with manual locking hubs, so i am still learning

Yes keep them locked in the winter with the occasional getting out and unlocking them just to keep them free and not getting frozen or anything.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well they say your not supposed to exceed 80 kmh/ 50 mph with the front hubs locked. If you have auto hubs then its out of your control except for whether or not you are in 4wd or 2wd. I think it has to do with the front drive shaft

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
Well they say your not supposed to exceed 80 kmh/ 50 mph with the front hubs locked. If you have auto hubs then its out of your control except for whether or not you are in 4wd or 2wd. I think it has to do with the front drive shaft

I think it the weather is bad enough that i need the truck i probably won't exceed those speeds anyway.

I will just lock them when needed since 70 miles/day of my commute is highway at 75mph

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue