Mean sounding cams worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
If you hada mustang you could make it sound cammed for free like this cool guy. Lmfao

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I think Bex is right here Son, if you do bump up the cam, it will change the dynamics of your low end. You will loose low end torque and will need more RPM to get moving. Some might even recommend a different stall converter to adjust for that. I am building a 383 right now for my 78 Scottsdale. I very specifically stayed away from a "lopey" cam due to this being a 4x4 and me not wanting to constantly stand on the gas when starting off the line or in 4x4 low in a bad situation. I ended up going with a comp cams 08-411-08. Good cam all around and gives me all the low end torque I can use with a 383. I recommend you do plenty of research and ask lots of questions before you pull the trigger on this. Learning from mistakes is always part of life so any way you go this will be a good experience for you. MK

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
If you have the money, you can get better heads and swap those on at the same time you swap in the cam. But if you're just doing a cam, stick with the stock one. Yes you will see some improvement with a torquey cam, but unless you make the air pump (engine) breathe better, a simple cam change won't do much. And stay away from lopey, mean sounding cams. You're not going to be running the engine at 6000-7000 rpms all the time. You want torque, torque makes the truck move and keeps it moving with a load in the bed or trailer behind it. Horsepower is for high revs and racing. A nice set of heads, and a torquey cam, and you will see noticeable gains and still be able drive it like a truck is intended to be driven, like a truck. If you want high revs and racing, get a car and save the truck for truck duties.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Avery brown,

Since you won't be driving full time for some time yet, take this time to familiarize yourself with what's what on your engine. Learn some basic things like how to set the distributor on number one piston coming up. Don't even look and pull all the plug wires off the distributor then learn how to look up your firing order and the correct placement of your plug wires until you can do it in the dark. Why? Because one of these days you may have to. Practice checking and setting your timing with a timing light. Do some carb tuning and learn your carburetor and all the terms and parts. Otherwise if you need a part for it how will you know what to ask the guy at the parts store for, the right part or repair kit.

Take the valve cover off and learn how to set the valve lash on all your valves. Do I know how to do it and could I tell you? Sure, but then you wouldn't learn it like you will if you do it yourself. Then if you think you have it right, crank the engine up, if it will and it will if you've done it right. If you haven't then it will run like crap and you'll have to find out which ones are off or start all over again and do it right. Changing the timing chain out, even if it's just taking it off and putting it back on again, you'll learn something. Get yourself a volt meter and do some electrical testing to find out what does what when the power is off and when the power is on. Things like that.

Does it sound like school? You bet, it is, a life long school! Jack the truck up and get under it on a creeper, if you don't have one borrow one or better buy one because you'll need one a lot, and get under the truck and look at everything under there so you'll know what's what. Familiarize yourself with the suspension parts, the bottom of the engine, the trans, all the way back and including the rear end. Look at how things are connected to each other, even just that if you hear a noise going down the road you'll remember what the underside looks like and where that sound might be coming from. You'd be surprised when people are asked where a sound is coming from they just say, "Somewhere under the car." Don't be one of those people.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Avery brown,

I didn't mean to assume you didn't know anything at all, but your dad doesn't build race cars does he, and owns a big auto repair shop does he? Your family doesn't own a warehouse full of custom cars and trucks do they? And they built them all by themselves including all the body work and paint did they? And if you can do all that stuff already, then take off, you're ready. I had to learn all that the hard way. I had no one to teach me anything automotive. I had to learn it through process of elimination. No one in my family could go any further than checking the oil and putting gas in the car. When I was a little kid back in the '50's men did check the water in the radiator and checked the water in the battery. That was it. If you've got people who can help you fine, otherwise ask someone here, or go on line and find out.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
If you hada mustang you could make it sound cammed for free like this cool guy. Lmfao

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I just cut all the vacuum lines on my truck. It sounds awesome now. Just need to find a crowd of onlookers now…

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
A little above an rv cam will give you the lopey idle you probably want. Just a little,probably indistinguishable loss of torque on high top end tho.Won't do much for power,but it will sound better,and cost a little more mpg maybe.I had teenage friends used to do this very thing in late 60s and the 70s.Dual exhaust and jack that car up in the rear with airshocks.Those were the days my friend,I thought they'd never end.

Oaasport

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V10
Engine Size
@Avery brown welcome and thanks for keeping a square on the road. Please excuse the guys who are concerned over your age. 14 is a prime age for learning, i agree with that but it doesnt mean you cant know alot. Get a good few chevy performance build books, save money and build what YOU want. Im admit, i never built a SBC until now, uh oh im going to get flamed now lol. Or maybe I won't because im also building a toyota 2.3L Inline engine right now that is dry sumped and will spin to 9300RPM and make over 140HP per liter. Knowledge doesnt come in age or experience alone. Want it mean sounding? Want a high torque motor? Then get out and DO IT! Im building my SBC my way, went against what the machinist wanted, after all im paying for it amd it is going in my truck. Keep up the good work and congrats on the build!

Avery brown

Reaction score
First Name
Avery
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
if your quadrajet is working fine, leave it there.

i had a booger'd quadrajet on mine and simply replaced it with a rebuilt (not by me) quadrajet.

the only thing i did was adjust for maximum vacuum and set the 'sensitivity' of the secondary butterfly.

very happy and plan to keep fuel running through it regularly so it doesn't get booger'd up.

good luck

:)
Ok, thank you!

Avery brown

Reaction score
First Name
Avery
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Awesome to hear you're 14 and into a good hobby that lets you use your hands and brain! In your case, no a BIG cam is nothing but trouble because its part of a "system" that relies on other parts (Heads, intake, transmission, gears, etc.) to work correctly. It's also a "domino" effect. Change one thing and then you have to change another and each piece costs money. But, it's worth learning and can be fun.

BTW, I grew up just down the street from you (Burley). You might say were spud brothers!
Thanks alot! I appreciate it! Look at my new post explaining stuff I forgot I posted this and I just got back on.
if your quadrajet is working fine, leave it there.

i had a booger'd quadrajet on mine and simply replaced it with a rebuilt (not by me) quadrajet.

the only thing i did was adjust for maximum vacuum and set the 'sensitivity' of the secondary butterfly.

very happy and plan to keep fuel running through it regularly so it doesn't get booger'd up.

good luck

:)
Thanks alot! I appreciate it! Look at my new post explaining stuff I forgot I posted this and I just got back on.

Avery brown

Reaction score
First Name
Avery
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. Glad to see another generation keeping our trucks alive.

With any type of modifications you need to decide what is best for you and your budget. Only the 1% folks (you millionaires) can spend 30k on an engine but will never have the satisfaction of building one.

Decide what you would like to do with the engine/truck and lots of research/questions.

Avery brown

Reaction score
First Name
Avery
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Big cam requires a higher stall torque converter so that the engine can get up into the right power band. A small RV/towing cam is a decent investment and can be felt at the seat of the pants without needing to change anything else, including torque converter or valve springs. The problem with that, if you are trying to get a "mean sounding cam", is that a small RV/towing cam will be almost indistinguishable from stock sounding. You wont have a lopey idle at all.

Avery brown

Reaction score
First Name
Avery
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
In short to answer your query of "is it worth it?"
Yes, in certain instances, just not yours.

It's a fine thing to want but you are not yet ready young Padawan.

Can I make suggestion?

I understand that money in your pocket IMMEDIATELY begins to burn and if you like burning money? You are in the right place lmmfao.

If you intend to change a camshaft you will want and need tools.
Way more than you probably own. Screw buying carburetors you're going to need a CHERRY PICKER and an ENGINE STAND before anything else can happen towards changing a camshaft? You will need TOOLS. Many.

EXCELLENT sources of tools at good prices are garage sales and pawn shops. The Snap-On truck is a goal, much like a camshaft swap haha.

Since your pocket is on fire, my suggestion is to spend towards the best "bang for the buck". Work on the stuff that doesn't require many fancy tools and will yield the most return given the investment.

I.E. change the fluids and filters. All of them - and start a notebook or something to keep records with dates and mileages or your services performed. Initiate a service record .

Squarebody truck owners MUST own a grease gun. Have you got one? How about a jack?
Can you change the spare?

Have you got a drain pan to change the oil? The transmission filter and differential fluids will be GREAT learning experience as you may never forget.

And for the record?
Holley>Edelbrock.
I don't support Edelbrock anything! :mad:

Consider the Street Avenger 670 instead.

the fluids and the filters...

Oil + filter
Trans fluid (dextron 6) + filter
Differential fluid
Air filter
Fuel filter
Antifreeze
Blinker fluid
Halogen refill juice

That's more than $100 and may take all day.

Rotate the tires.
(Best ones should be on the back)

Grease the fittings (at least 11)

How are the wipers? Does the washer work?

THEN I would repair things starting with the smallest and cheapest stuff to fix. It's 40 years old...it's got broke stuff and is missing parts. I'd sure as hell change the U-joints near the beginning of ownership. That is one of the first chores to accomplish.

For Pete's sake keep it from breaking down before you take it apart!

Avery brown

Reaction score
First Name
Avery
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hay kid :wave: - check this out! @Avery brown

Where'd he go?

:secret:

I stumbled upon a good example of something the other day and thought to share it here.
See a couple of weeks ago I bought the bottom part of the two piece fan shroud for a 1988 - been putting it off.
Hard to believe the part is available for sale NEW, capitalism and stuff ya know? Somebody sells reproductions!
:patriot:
These Counterpart dudes hooked me up, it finally arrived - check out the badass cardboard box it came in!

You must be registered for see images attach

But the shroud half? :shrug:oh it looks cool but dang! $50?
HELL no, the part was only $24.99...heck of a deal right?

Shipping the cardboard box cost $24.95.
:**** Eater:
PLUS TAX!

Not with packing or anything else inside. Not even cool newspapers from another town ... no "single use plastic bags" filled with COVID straight from China ....no stickers... not even one lousy Styrofoam peanut! Can you believe it?

BUT!

I get to keep the box.....good lookin ain't it?

:pedobear:

Ohhh
Ahhh

Look at how clean the interior is.

:headbang: Pretty sweet, right?
Dang! only $24.95 That's awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member