Manual to power windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
I discovered by changing all the parts inside the door that the locking rod is not the same as the one that came OEM without the door lock, the one with the door lock is longer on the side where the lock takes! :)

Attachments

• _DSC5204.jpg
    _DSC5204.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 56
  • _DSC5209.jpg
    _DSC5209.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 57

wobpb377

Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
These two systems (pwr locks & windows) are twisted together and have their own seperate wiring harness. The wires for both systems are routed together.

The harness is modular and can be removed in 3 sections (one harness assembly in each door and the under dash harness). Just strip the tape at the connectors and unplug. See the attached diagram (shows a 4 door application - disregard the rear door)

As far as power feeds; there are specific plug-in points on the fuse block for each system. They are both in the same row (4th from the left - top two). The outlets are labeled "W" and the plugs can only fit in those holes.

See the attached fuse block image.

Ground the systems at the main ground block (behind the dash, far left side, up against the wall)

There is a relay mounting panel (and relay) for the locks under the dash attached to the horn relay/buzzer panel. The windows do not have any relays. Windows use a circuit breaker instead of the normal fuse (plugs right into the fuse block like a fuse).

Also see the attached overall schematic.

The biggest headache of this conversion is modifying the doors & cab body to allow the wiring harness to pass through the steel and over to the window regulator motors and lock actuators. The doors have to come off - trust me!
I know a super old thread. My suburban has power door locks but no power windows. Do you think the wiring will be there for the power windows already or will new wires needs to be ran? This is for a 1986 suburban

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell