Manual to power windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inbowhunter713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey all sorry if this has been discussed before but i can't get the search feature to work on tapatalk. Anyways my old man has an 81 c10 silverado that's all power that currently resides in his field. It has become a parts truck for my 84 k10. Im wanting to put the power windows/locks in my truck. Has anyone done this before? Can i just run a relay off a keyed source for the windows and off constant power for the locks or do they tie into each other from one side to the other. Kinda confused on where to start. If anyone has any knowledge on this project id appreciate it. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I've done this conversion a couple of times.

Bump this reply if you still want to discuss what's involved

inbowhunter713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've done this conversion a couple of times.

Bump this reply if you still want to discuss what's involved

Yes! id love to get the run down on the conversion!

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I want to know also.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
These two systems (pwr locks & windows) are twisted together and have their own seperate wiring harness. The wires for both systems are routed together.

The harness is modular and can be removed in 3 sections (one harness assembly in each door and the under dash harness). Just strip the tape at the connectors and unplug. See the attached diagram (shows a 4 door application - disregard the rear door)

As far as power feeds; there are specific plug-in points on the fuse block for each system. They are both in the same row (4th from the left - top two). The outlets are labeled "W" and the plugs can only fit in those holes.

See the attached fuse block image.

Ground the systems at the main ground block (behind the dash, far left side, up against the wall)

There is a relay mounting panel (and relay) for the locks under the dash attached to the horn relay/buzzer panel. The windows do not have any relays. Windows use a circuit breaker instead of the normal fuse (plugs right into the fuse block like a fuse).

Also see the attached overall schematic.

The biggest headache of this conversion is modifying the doors & cab body to allow the wiring harness to pass through the steel and over to the window regulator motors and lock actuators. The doors have to come off - trust me!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Wow, Great info Chengny. Where do you find awesome images like those?

inbowhunter713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks so much! Just what I needed to know!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The schematic and fuse block image are from alldata - easy to find elsewhere.

The exploded harness image is another story. It's from from NallyGMC. I found this site only recently. The diagrams are fantastic - must be GM in-house material. Here is the link:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=2690097&ukey_assembly=432251

Happens to be the gas tank and associated components - I was looking for a good picture before tearing out my auxiliary tank. But it's very well laid out and easy to navigate. Just go up and out to whatever M/Y and group/system you are interested in.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Thx Chengny. Good info and source. lol, just noticed how old this post is.

Last edited:

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And, if nobody wants to scavenge an old harness, I now reproduce the entire harness-you can order as:

Power windows only
Power locks only
Power mirrors only

And obviously I offer any combination of the above. I specialize in harness integrations like using 90-91 Suburban/K5 power mirrors or 88-93 G-series van power dumbo mirrors for use on any 73-87, 91 truck. I offer the power mirror mod with switches commonly found on:

Suburban/K5 (1990-91 only)
G-series (1988-93 only)
Camaro/Firebird (88-92 only)

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
lol your post is what got me lookin and I found this one.

farmer_bobby13

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I don't know if this is how I'm suppose to post but I've got an 87 Silverado with manual Windows and locks but I have bought another 87 same color and it has power locks and Windows and I want to just swap doors and hook it all up to the one I drive. One thing that confuses me though is that I hooked the battery up and the power locks will unlock but not lock and the Windows won't work. Idk if the battery just didn't have much power or the buttons for the windows were out or what. But anything is helpful I've never had a square body with power locks and Windows

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't know if this is how I'm suppose to post but I've got an 87 Silverado with manual Windows and locks but I have bought another 87 same color and it has power locks and Windows and I want to just swap doors and hook it all up to the one I drive. One thing that confuses me though is that I hooked the battery up and the power locks will unlock but not lock and the Windows won't work. Idk if the battery just didn't have much power or the buttons for the windows were out or what. But anything is helpful I've never had a square body with power locks and Windows

It is doable. Someone else will have to chime in on the locks to be exact, but I can tell you on the Power Windows, you will need to pull the 25 amp Circuit Breaker from the doner truck. Not a fuse, a little metal box. It's in a fuse socket on the fuse block marked PWR WDO. Then you'll need to get the wiring harness from the top of the top of the fuse block that is plugged into I believe 2 terminals marked WDO. Unplug that harness, and pay attention to how it's routed. Route it the same way in your current truck, then you're door harnesses will need to be fed and ran into the door jamb, through the kickpanels, then connected to the plugs on the end of the harness you just installed to the same WDO terminals you unplugged from. The 25 Amp Circuit Breaker in the PWR WDO fuse socket will give them WDO terminals the power they need to operate your power windows. I can't imagine the power locks is going to be much different, but be sure your grounds and clean and tight. You'll see where to connect them on a ground buss bar of sorts on the driver side kick panel. IIRC, it's just above the plastic kick panels on the driver side up behind the instrument cluster. Hopefully I've put all that in a way you can comprehend it. It's not hard, just a PITA. Good Luck and Welcome to GMSB. :cheers:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

You probably neglected to provide a ground for the PW's and the lock function of the PL's.

Run a jumper to each system as shown below. The red tracer will provide a ground path for the window regulator motors and the yellow will ground the door lock relay. A ground for the relay is only necessary to power the locks unlocked.

Attachments

• Pages from 1984 wiring diagrams only.jpg
    Pages from 1984 wiring diagrams only.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2,537
Last edited:

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Did you also pull the center dash harness?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128