Lt1 swap in 73 k10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMostowyk

Reaction score
First Name
Morris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
5.7 L
I have done this swap with a 4L60 trans. Because I pulled the complete package, ecm and all, it was relatively easy.

Howell engineering out of Detroit built a custom harness and ecm with core swap.

I installed a new opti and water pump. Had the injectors cleaned. Started first time has been running 10 years.

My advice, buy a caprice or 9c1 or wagon and pull the package. Lot cheaper than starting where you are. Added advantage is that you will hear it run before you buy.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
get the lt1, buy a carb intake for it and standard gm hei electric fuel pump. The expensive way is buy the harnes, the 0411 ecm like mentioned and get an efi sending unit for it...wait they might be about the same price.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
When shopping for an entire car, which I have , and do, be aware of the "baby LT1" 265 c.i. V8 that looks VERY similar and is often passed off as a 350.

Unless of course; that is what you are shopping for - they are found on B and X body cars from chebby, slowsmobile, pontihack, and Caddywack.

A 265 v8 is how to get your hands on a 3.0" stroke crankshaft for a 1 piece RMS block with PM rods.

I'll find the right one eventually. Remember the Caprice I tried to buy from that Craigslist dude?

That sure was gonna be $700 well spent! They're out there...
Ever considered buying anything entire car for a few engine parts? Look at it this way...the seats will probably bolt into your K5 or Suburban!

Last edited:

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have a LT1/6 speed in my z28.
While I do like it and the engine is strong there is more support for the LS versions. They are everywhere. From the all aluminum ones in sports cars to the iron block ones in the trucks.

Have you thought about the trans and transfer case? That may also help you decide.

Swaps are not cheap.
Depending on what you want it may be easier to put a sbc 350 and call it a day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man