LQ9 swap motor mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwampdonkeyK10

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SWB
Engine Size
Hey guys! Looking for some help here. Just bought a complete LQ9 and I'm looking to use the a/c compressor in the factory lower passenger location. Does anyone have any recommendations on how this can be done in the best and easiest fashion? Also does anyone recommend a long tube ceramic coated long tube header that offers O2 sensor bungs already welded in?

Application in SWB 1986 K10 with 6" lift

Attachments

• photo 3 (1).jpg
    photo 3 (1).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 154

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum. Nice truck you got there. LQ9 swapped over already?

I assume you are talking about the LQ9 position? I was under the influence that that mounting position is too low for a swap into a lot of earlier cars, you need to clearance the frame for the compressor. Unless you already checked into the clearance you will end up with, do that first before going any further. You may need to go with a different FAD set-up.

I would look through Summit for headers for this specific motor family swap. I don't know whats out there for this swap.

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The company that made the ac line that would allow for low mount is no longer selling them :(

I tried to source them else where, but no luck.

I haven't seen any headers that will fit 4wd either.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
AJII, do the factory front accessories from the truck clear everything? I helped a guy at work with some of his 5.3 Burb swap into a 76 Camaro. He had no plans to use AC from the beginning, and we found it would have been very close if he did want to use it. Is it just the AC line that is preventing you from finishing the AC? Can't you have someone fab them up to specs you give them?

SwampdonkeyK10

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SWB
Engine Size
Correct I don't have it installed yet. I have the a/c lines figured out just wanting guidance on motor mounts and headers. I would use the stock manifolds if there is no clearance issues. I appreciate the input and the compliment!

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
AJII, do the factory front accessories from the truck clear everything? I helped a guy at work with some of his 5.3 Burb swap into a 76 Camaro. He had no plans to use AC from the beginning, and we found it would have been very close if he did want to use it. Is it just the AC line that is preventing you from finishing the AC? Can't you have someone fab them up to specs you give them?

Everything fits fine. Look at some of my old posts and I have pictures.

The way the compressor is clocked is the biggest problem. THe lines come out directly at the lip of the frame. I cut my frame and it was still too close to get any other off the shelf ac parts to fit. A good AC shop could probably braze some stuff together.

Stock manifolds work fine, too.

87lsxgmc

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
4x4 application makes it difficult, thats why i left my truck 2wd. dirty dingo makes mounts n claim they will clear the compressor. thats what i ended up buying, and so far so good as far as fitment, havent bolted on front accesories yet. as far as the headers go i think there are a couple guys on here running late model camaro manifolds that clear great. 98-02 camaro headers fit my 2wd like a glove.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69