Lowering a 1982 C20?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeffay

Reaction score
First Name
Jefferey
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
I was wondering if anyone has lowered there C20. Just bought an 82, and really want to drop it something like a 4/6 or 5/7 but I am have problems finding kits. Any and all help is much appreciated.

pmayojr

Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Im not 100% but I think you can use the c30 drop spindles and springs for the front. For the back you will have to do a flip kit. I did the flip on my 86 c10 for just over $100. which includes the air shocks so I can still haul and tow if I want. For the flip I went to tractor supply and bought the trailer leaf spring seats. for $10. you need a welder and a torch.

Last edited:

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Im not 100% but I think you can use the c30 drop spindles and springs for the front. For the back you will have to do a flip kit. I did the flip on my 86 c10 for just over $100. which includes the air shocks so I can still haul and tow if I want. For the flip I went to tractor supply and bought the trailer leaf spring seats. for $10. you need a welder and a torch.

Do you have a write up somewhere of what you did? this sounds intresting, and down the ally of what id like to do.

pmayojr

Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
No write up. But I'll tell you on here .

I started by removing the bed. And both leaf springs. My truck has a Reese hitch so I used a floor jack under it to support the truck. I lowered the chassis down far enough to where I could put the springs under the axle. I used the bigger spring perches from tractor supply. You have to drill another hole in them to move the axle back an inch. Make sure the measurement is exact or else the truck will crab down the road. Set the newly drilled perches on the springs and lift the jack until the axle just is sitting in them. You will need another floor jack to set the pinion angle. I set mine parallel to the ground. Once its where it needs to be tack the perches in place remove the leaf springs for ease of access and weld in. I then bolted everything in and used a torch to cut the rivets out for the bump stops. You will need shock extenders. I bought the Monroe air shock kit for my truck and installed them like the instructions said. Then reinstall the bed. With the air shocks I have a little adjustment on the ride height of the rear.

Jeffay

Reaction score
First Name
Jefferey
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
I know this one has been dead for a little bit, but I purchased and installed the rear flip kit. Just waiting on my drop spindles to show up. I'll post up picks once complete. Hoping for this weekend, but we know how that goes.

pmayojr

Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
were the spindles the same as the 1 ton?

Jeffay

Reaction score
First Name
Jefferey
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
I got a set from Western Chassis. A little pricey at 400, but really good product.

cbrodine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
did this get finished? Any updates?

Zone cone

Reaction score