Low cost trailing arm conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
CPP use to sell one but can't find a part number or a price for it. I know Port built and Hot Rods to He'll have kits but has anyone ever adapted the original early crossmembers to a square body frame? My truck rides super rough due to the way the PO lowered it but I still think coils ride better than leafs. Looking g for low buck options here.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
The frames are pretty different between the 67-72 trucks an a 73+. The large "hump" over the top of that crossmember for driveshaft clearance will hit the cab floor. If you trim it out then the drive shaft will hit it if you going to be pretty low. Another problem will be spring/bag mounting as the pocket for either winds up outside the square body frame.

I have the porter built kit an I honestly would NOT recommend it. Get the CPP kit instead, the part number is 7387TAC-A and it's 1199. I don't know that it's any better but the problems I've had with my kit have killed my motivation for working on it an it's just been sitting for almost a year now. Not much free time an low funds haven't helped either though

There's honestly no low buck way to do without putting so many hours of work into it that you don't come out ahead or with a better working product than one of the available kits. I think it would be easier/faster to adapt a 73+ body to a 67-72 frame than try an make it work on the stock frame.

These are just my opinions though, porter told me several times they were improving parts of their kit that I was having issues with. They might have as I quit asking after a month of getting the same "I'll have details for you next week" answer everytime I e-mailed. I've never heard anything else about it or if it's supposed to be better. I'm not the only one that had trouble out of that kit either.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What about running original style trailing arms and cross member, but using coilovers and a simple custom cross member to mount them? Panhard bar mounting could also be incorporated into the cross member. Seams like a good idea in my head, lol.

And how much would the cab need clearanced for the driveshaft hump?

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
What about running original style trailing arms and cross member, but using coilovers and a simple custom cross member to mount them? Panhard bar mounting could also be incorporated into the cross member. Seams like a good idea in my head, lol.

And how much would the cab need clearanced for the driveshaft hump?
That's what one guy I've seen did. He used the cpp cross member instead of trying to modify a stock one. I'll try an dig up the thread over on 67-72 if I get time. I don't remember how bad it hit but it was enough he didn't want to deal with it...

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I just want this in my subscription folder for when I get my truck back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
di11ard