Loss of e-brake after driving on rough roads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hi,
After a drive through beautiful, but very uneven roads of our Mazury lake District I lost my e-brake. At one moment along various other squeaks and rattles I believe I've heard something bounce under the car, like a rock or a bolt, later on when parked I had zero parking brake. There is slack in cable, but I can't see anything detached. Cable still is attached to the pedal and to both drums, I can pull botl left and right cable and hear stuff move inside drums, that cable splitting contraption is still there. Before that I believe I had e-brake in both wheels, was it possible that something rattled away in both drums at same time?

Or is there anything that could have fallen off that would yield such symptom?

Last edited:

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So, in remembering my own, I know it’s a maze of hooks that slot into the frame and guide the cables while keeping some semblance of tension on them. It’s my thought that there was a little slack in your system, allowing one to bounce or rattle out of the frame, and that would explain why you see slack now and why your e-brake now does nothing.

If you have a manual, it would probably show you the hooks and the cable routing. But the odds of something suddenly happening to both rear drums are slim to none.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
My system looks different, it goes from e-brake pedal downwards and turns back along left frame rail.

Thank you for the idea, just looked at the LMC Truck page and they have a schematic that sort of looks like my assembly.

I'll study it at home and see what's missing. I suspect that slack would appear in whole system if there was nothing to hold the cable in place in area marked with #4:

You must be registered for see images attach

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
I found out that my cable adjustment nut (6) was all the way out... I have no other idea that it has simply vibrated loose on the roads that felt like driving on cobblestone (some of them were probably cobblestone with a thin layer of weathered asphalt)

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Something is still wrong. The e-brake could barely hold the Burb in drive and I had to floor it, never had to engage it that hard before. Adjusting it further made it even stiffer.

I found an old video that I recorded and I see that the adjustment nut was almost all the way out before, so something else must have been affected by all that shaking.
Looks like it is not a common issue as I though so I'll investigate, my only other idea is that something inside one of the drums has dislodged.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The fact that your e brake adjuster vibrated loose all on its own is actually great news. 98.9% of them are rusted tight!

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
It actually didn't, it was all the way loose. I checked some old footage where I got a shot of that splitter/adjuster and the nut was already at the end of the rod. I'll see inside drums in some spare time to check what happened there.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The fact that your e brake adjuster vibrated loose all on its own is actually great news. 98.9% of them are rusted tight!
You ain’t joking! In Michigan, unless you used them EVERY DAY it was common practice to never ever touch them because good luck after that.

Juniork30

Reaction score
First Name
Ramon
Truck Year
Truck Model
chevrolet k30
Engine Size
I would remove the drum and check inside probably broke something

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You ain’t joking! In Michigan, unless you used them EVERY DAY it was common practice to never ever touch them because good luck after that.
I’m still afraid to push an e brake and haven’t lived in the salt belt for 30 years!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06