Looking to buy... But it's a 72

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Is this a private owner or some sort of consignment dealer? That could make a difference to me.

By the looks of the garage and the other classics in the background some pretty nice iron there. Somebody has put some time, effort and money into them.

I think it may be a fair price depending on your plans. The A/C delete and fuel cell definitely turn me off. I would highly question and look very closely at the frame shortening but the rest of the work looks to be decent. It certainly tickles my fancy anyway.

For a weekend cruiser or having some fun with, I would give it some real thought. Purely IMHO.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Check the frame rails I believe on those trucks you have to cut the frame in front and behind the wheels to make it a short bed. Also find out how they did shortened the frame and whether or not it is reinforced. Ac delete sucks if it worked when they got the truck if not you would spend a ton getting it to work and it still might not be as good as a vintage air set up.

If you have ever sold a car to the general public you know they are more concerned about it looking go rather than being reliable. He may have picked up that truck as a project someone started and found the cost to paint it killed the project, he painted it and is selling it. Guys on the corvette forums are saying they get quotes of 10-20k to repaint those cars.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Around here 11k would be a going price for that truck. I wouldn't pay that for it though.

My issues with it are the paint color, the black grill and painted bumpers with that paint color, those mirrors look like they came from a junkyard datsun, and that fuel cell ruins the bed for doing truck things.

So, I would have to get it at a price I could go back with chrome bumpers and grill and source the trim for it. I would have to fix the heat and AC. I would have to move that cell to hang under the bed and make a hole to fill it in the floor. And finally buy some originalish mirrors for it. If you did all that you could sell that truck here for between 15 and 22k.

But there is a "you know what" for every seat and that thing may be perfect for someone else.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
If you want it just for the paint job, get it. I wouldn't touch it. Getting one that is mainly unmolested would be a better route if you're truly wanting one of that vintage. Then you could make it your own. If you get that thing you're dealing with a shortened long bed truck that can no longer haul anything without doing more modifications to it. Even then, would the frame handle any type of load?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
If you want it just for the paint job, get it. I wouldn't touch it. Getting one that is mainly unmolested would be a better route if you're truly wanting one of that vintage. Then you could make it your own. If you get that thing you're dealing with a shortened long bed truck that can no longer haul anything without doing more modifications to it. Even then, would the frame handle any type of load?

thats why I asked how the modification was done.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Video...
I wouldn't buy that truck with YOUR money.
*pass* over that rattle-trap piece of **** and thank me later.

A few it'd be ok, check it over, etc and two that say NO WAY.
But why? I'll admit I am new to older trucks and just saying run or pass doesn't really help newbies because we don't know why or what to be looking for.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
thats why I asked how the modification was done.

He sent some pics of the under side but none showing how the fame was done. I've asked for specifically that this morning.

I'm not worried about it being able to tow/carry - I have a truck for that. This is a toy

DoubleDingo said:
Getting one that is mainly unmolested would be a better route...
That's funny. The unmolested have so much work to be done due to rust or they want so much because they're so clean it wouldn't be worth it. I'm not looking for a show truck or an investment.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
The frame was shortened is the big one. Not a fan of hacking up a perfectly good long bed to make a short bed. The Chevy rear ends that came in those trucks are just fine, but they put in a Ford. The fuel cell. The interior. Other than all of that it looks cool. But I wouldn't buy it the way it is if I were you.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you're wanting a toy, and you're comfortable spending what they're asking, go ahead. But I wouldn't do it. If you wanted to make it anywhere near what it was stock, you'd still have to pay a lot of money. There's still solid units out there. And Yes, these older trucks are getting out of hand on the prices, it's ridiculous.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There are a few companies that have brackets to do the LWB to SWB conversion but they have only been on the market a few years. We shortened my son's '77 and I can tell you it is seriously stronger now that when it was a long bed as it is very heavily braced and has index marks to ensure it is in proper alignment. A lot of the trucks that were done a few years ago are suspect and were done by guesswork. Tons of the 90's trucks were c-notched horribly and I see them sagging all over the place.

As others have stated, the conversion would be the most important consideration. While $11k isn't that high nor out of range for a truck at that level of completion, I have seen nicer trucks for less. People keep telling me 67-72 fleetside, short-bed rollers are $5k plus but I continue to find nice examples for $2k and less. I'd continue to shop around.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I totally agree on the fuel cell. It bugs me but that could be something easy to put under the truck.
I don't want it to be returned to stock, even if I found a stock one it would get custom paint and interior.
The interior isn't too bad, not too keen on the dash being cloth but I could live with it.
The shortening doesn't both me but the couple of pics I now have of where cuts were made only show the outside weld which isn't too bad (I'll put them in the next post).
Someone mentioned the bumpers - I kind of like them but yes, if chipped they would have to become chrome or I'm sure the paint would not match. I'd probably have to swap mirrors as well.
The grilled could be chrome or satin like the wheels.

[quote"Backfoot100"]Is this a private owner or some sort of consignment dealer? That could make a difference to me.

I think it may be a fair price depending on your plans. The A/C delete and fuel cell definitely turn me off. I would highly question and look very closely at the frame shortening but the rest of the work looks to be decent. It certainly tickles my fancy anyway.[/quote]
It is a dealer, not sure if he is consignment though. The a/c would have to be replaced but the kits aren't too bad.

But of course any of the listed things to change would have to bring the price down. I just don't doubt he'll come down to the number I would want to pay, say $8,000.

I hope I am not skipping any replies, I just noticed there were a couple that I did not see before.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Here are some pics of the underside...
You must be registered for see images attach

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
What it comes down to is - can you feel comfortable spending 11,000 on that? The shortening of the frame for me would not be a deal killer, but I would want more pictures (inside and outside of the frame). I am not a fan of the interior, painted bumpers, etc, but is it what you want?

My thoughts are with the list of changes you are considering you might be best passing. But that is just my opinion.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Is that a butt weld on the frame???