Looking into a new compact car.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I see the Forte is still available with a 6 speed. It has a 4mpg penalty in fuel economy over the auto. It looks like the Rio doesn't even offer one, and gets the same highway mileage as the larger car. I noticed both the Hyundai and Kia dealers here usually kept an Elantra and Forte on the lot with a manual. Usually quite comparatively priced as a loss leader (and so few can drive one).

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Does it have to be new? I personally need a bit more power than the little Spark would offer with all the hills and grades...and Jersey drivers lol.

I havent owned one but have friends that do and I also would suggest a Kia or Hyundai. The spark is a Daewoo with chevy badging. When it comes to Korean OEMs I would leave Daewoo in the mid tier.

I daily drive a 2015 Passat TDI which gets me between 43-47mpg highway, even with winter blend and occasional traffic. It has a powertrain warranty from the VW emissions settlement for 180,000+ total miles. They offered 6 manuals which are less maintenance than the dual clutch auto. I paid 12k for mine out the door with 60k miles. Its also big enough and powerful enough to carry around the family if I wanted to.

That engine and trans combo is available in Golf, Jetta, and Passat.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
MPFI so no potential direct injection issue (these do not use the trouble prone Theta engine 2.4L).
This is a massive point that no one should overlook. The GDI engines of all makes have been problematic.

We’ve owned my wife’s 2017 Honda Fit since new and have had the check engine light on numerous times due to gasoline direct injection. We just hit 70k and the dealer has already had to tear it apart for valve cleaning and put a whole new set of injectors in.

Now that the warranty has expired, we are looking to sell. If we’d been out of pocket for warranted repairs to date it would exceed $3000.

Steer clear of GDI if at all possible.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
If you have the patience to wait another year or two the Cybertruck will be quite the gas saver ;) I know that's not a popular opinion around here.

I just convinced my in-laws to get a Hyundai too when they got rid of their Murano. I don't think those Hyundais will hold value at all but if you just need to have something dependable for the next 10 years it will probably be perfect.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
I'm looking at slightly used (2018) Kia Niro hybrid. I really wanted a manual, but at the fuel mileage coming out of that thing, I think would have to not care.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Ive been looking at a sipper myself.

Im considering a honda. Ive worked on them several times, only gripe is some places on the engine bay just arent big enough for my fat fingers.

Get an older one. I bought a 1993 Honda Civic EX Coupe for $200 because it had a blown head gasket. It cost me $75 for a complete upper gasket kit, $40 for new head bolts, $40 for new timing belt/tensioner/water pump, and $100 for the head to get cleaned/decked/pressure checked, and slammed it all together. I get 30mpg and its still fun to drive as a 5-speed beater. It has cruise, power windows/locks, Heat/AC, and a sun roof. Still plenty of room to get in there to work on stuff too since it was before all the wiz-bang new stuff.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
For the ultimate cheap mileage beater, honestly can't beat an old geo metro. I've got a 94 and a 96, 3 doors, 1.slow L 3 cylinder, 5 speed, 96 has obdII so hooked an ultragauge up to it and has air bags, just putting to work and back going slow I get 43 with that one, hypermile it on the hwy can bump it to 49. The older ones get better and the XFI got the best. Had a 92 XFI that being conservative, routinely got 54 mpg with it.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
For the ultimate cheap mileage beater, honestly can't beat an old geo metro. I've got a 94 and a 96, 3 doors, 1.slow L 3 cylinder, 5 speed, 96 has obdII so hooked an ultragauge up to it and has air bags, just putting to work and back going slow I get 43 with that one, hypermile it on the hwy can bump it to 49. The older ones get better and the XFI got the best. Had a 92 XFI that being conservative, routinely got 54 mpg with it.
With fuel prices down, I've been seeing a lot of rust free ones showing up in the wrecking yards here again. ☹

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is a massive point that no one should overlook. The GDI engines of all makes have been problematic.

We’ve owned my wife’s 2017 Honda Fit since new and have had the check engine light on numerous times due to gasoline direct injection. We just hit 70k and the dealer has already had to tear it apart for valve cleaning and put a whole new set of injectors in.

Now that the warranty has expired, we are looking to sell. If we’d been out of pocket for warranted repairs to date it would exceed $3000.

Steer clear of GDI if at all possible.

Even the new GM LS engines are GDI.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Even the new GM LS engines are GDI.
I know, I own one. That’s why I have a 10 yr/150k bumper to bumper on it. Just have to sell them before the warranty expires. It is what it is.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl

They handle boost really well too. One of my first jobs in high school was working for a guy that owned an ISP and had a speed shop as his fun hobby. He had a supercharged Miata and a turbo'd 1993 Geo Metro as his ridiculous fun cars. That thing hauled @ss!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sort of on topic, have rented several little cars in recent months.
Most gutless award goes to the Jeep Compass (I think).
Nissan Sentra with about 30k miles felt like it had 130k.
Random Kia/Hyundais (is there a difference, I cant tell...lol) seemed better quality than the Nissan (and Jeep) and performed well, but felt like a little car still. Lots of road noise, nvh. But felt solid at the same time and enough power to get out of their own way.
Toyota Corolla, I was about blown away by it compared to all the others. Yes it's more $ and it showed. More power, cruised at 90-100mph across the desert like I was in the wifes SRT (comfort wise, not power, lol). Got mid 30s mpg doing hot laps from Vegas to Mesquite at 90mph.
My 2c.

Slybeanx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
v6
I've been looking at WRXs, GTIs and other smaller manuals. I'm not really brand loyal and have bounced around the german brands until the square. Interesting to see so many Hyundai and Kia recommendations.

I really couldn't imagine being happy driving something below 250ish hp at the weight cars are now.

Only wish I could know how all those new electrics will age. I'd hate to buy a car and basically be unusable in 6 years because they dont sell the cluster/dash unit. (mom has already had two of them in under warranty and needed to be swapped out for new ones)

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
From personal expierience I can tell you Kia makes one he'll of a dependable economical beater. I was VW and GM loyal many GTIs and GLIs as beaters not saying the kias are better but price and dependability they rock.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28