Looking into a new compact car.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
Went looked at a 2021 chevy spark ls no bells or whistles just white paint and a manual transmission.
Seems like a nice car to drive to work or go on a trip and priced under 13k it seems like a deal to me.
If i get enough back on taxes i am thinking or combining my stimulus and return to put a down payment on it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I hate to say it, but if you're looking for a new gas sipper for cheap, don't leave out Kia and Hyundai. In the last 10 years they've proven to be great cars and with great warranty. Some of them are assembled in USA and employ americans too. I know, it hurts my guts to say it too but it's a fact. My daughter recently bought a base model Kia Optima. Even the base model Optima has some bells and whisltes. She's got over 10K miles on it. I'd say compare it to a Chevy Cruze, but there's really no comparison. It's far superior to the Chevy Cruze in comfort, ride, space and roomy, mpg and probably power too. Now the Optima isn't one of the cheaper cars, but if you'd do a Chevy Spark, then you'd do a Hyundai Accent or Kia Forte. BTW, Kia owns Hyundai.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I hate to say it, but if you're looking for a new gas sipper for cheap, don't leave out Kia and Hyundai. In the last 10 years they've proven to be great cars and with great warranty. Some of them are assembled in USA and employ americans too. I know, it hurts my guts to say it too but it's a fact. My daughter recently bought a base model Kia Optima. Even the base model Optima has some bells and whisltes. She's got over 10K miles on it. I'd say compare it to a Chevy Cruze, but there's really no comparison. It's far superior to the Chevy Cruze in comfort, ride, space and roomy, mpg and probably power too. Now the Optima isn't one of the cheaper cars, but if you'd do a Chevy Spark, then you'd do a Hyundai Accent or Kia Forte. BTW, Kia owns Hyundai.
You have some good advice here and l do share your sentiment, my kids have both bought new Hyundai vehicles. They have so far been good cars and l tell them to get it serviced when due and be good to their car, and it will look after you. (Sure as hell l don't want to work on them)

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Ive been looking at a sipper myself.

Im considering a honda. Ive worked on them several times, only gripe is some places on the engine bay just arent big enough for my fat fingers.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
Bought my daughter a new 2020 Kia Forte FE this summer. My first non-GM car ever (nor will there be a new GM car again). She loves it and exceptionally well equipped, even in the base Fuel Efficient version (41mpg highway, she has hit 43mpg). Even has frontal collision braking standard. Still has 15" tires in the FE which I consider a big plus. MPFI so no potential direct injection issue (these do not use the trouble prone Theta engine 2.4L). This is the second year of the CVT, so that is a wild card. I had to drive one to convince myself. It works so well you would never know it. Shocked me, as I do not like them. Even my daughter dislikes them from her friends that have them. Hyundai/Kia's is an in house design with a chain drive rather than the belt as the cheaper Nissan's.
We have only one Hyundai dealer in town, so they don't deal much. Two Kia dealers so they marked this one down to $15222 and we went and bought it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Unlike my GM cars I bought new, this one hasn't been back to the dealer for all the broken, leaking or poorly assembled/damaged parts.

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Bought my daughter a new 2020 Kia Forte FE this summer. My first non-GM car ever (nor will there be a new GM car again). She loves it and exceptionally well equipped, even in the base Fuel Efficient version (41mpg highway, she has hit 43mpg). Even has frontal collision braking standard. Still has 15" tires in the FE which I consider a big plus. MPFI so no potential direct injection issue (these do not use the trouble prone Theta engine 2.4L). This is the second year of the CVT, so that is a wild card. I had to drive one to convince myself. It works so well you would never know it. Shocked me, as I do not like them. Even my daughter dislikes them from her friends that have them. Hyundai/Kia's is an in house design with a chain drive rather than the belt as the cheaper Nissan's.
We have only one Hyundai dealer in town, so they don't deal much. Two Kia dealers so they marked this one down to $15222 and we went and bought it.

Unlike my GM cars I bought new, this one hasn't been back to the dealer for all the broken, leaking or poorly assembled/damaged parts.

15? Damn thats a fine price

GXPWeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
1982 | 2015
Truck Model
Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
Engine Size
5.0 | 5.3
Sippers can be a great option for those of us who drive more than 60 miles a day, and can be great to save miles on the "nice" cars to be used on the weekend.
A good friend of mine has a spark, to save miles off his '14 Silverado, and 69 Duster (I may have the year wrong). He loves getting the high mpg's, and says that even though he lives on 3 miles of gravel, the tires on the Spark are soo cheap that he could buy them every other year or 4 tanks of gas for his Silverado (2 weeks).

I can't comment on the quality of his Spark, as I it hasn't come up in our conversations.

All new cars have some quirks and quality issues, but I will say that it is much more pleasurable going to a dealership to have a door weatherstrip molding replaced under warranty (VW Atlas) vs the power steering / seat belt / water pump needing replaced (2010 Traverse). Thus far, my '15 Silverado has had great quality, and I've only had 1 thing go wrong, and it was after warranty, and not a necessity (OnStar / Compass antenna). It's too expensive for me to just replace because it takes GM to calibrate it again.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, you get alot for the money with those Hyundai and Kias. Hondas and Toyotas are overpriced IMO. Lots of standard equipment on the base models. My daughters Optima has the frontal braking too and also lane assist. Freaked the hell outta my daughter the first time the car was trying to center itself in the lane when she was drifting right. She just about shut that feature off but finally got used to it and likes it now since the babies tend to distract her while driving from time to time.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The other thing about Kia/hyundai, it seems their finance is able to get those with less than perfect credit done with smaller down payments unlike Spi Fi dealers who not only rip you on the price, but interest rates in the 20%'s.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I've been really happy with my 2015 v6 camaro. Great gas mileage and plenty of power and quick. Me and my sister went to Kerrville TX to see mom for Thanksgiving. We cruised 80 to 90mph the whole way and used only 3/4 of a tank. It's a good 5 hr drive and we made it in about 4 hrs. A tank will get me to work for 2 weeks on a 25 mile round trip. I got it with 32k on it for 13k.

I know the other ones get better mileage but. I sure like mine.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
I thought so too, and I've been shopping quite a while, since we had the luxury of time. The other dealer had some LXS versions in the low 16s. They started playing games and my daughter wanted a light color, so we got the 'cheap one'. Tried to buy one through the Costco buyer program. I wasn't driving 175miles to pay 2k+ more.

Last edited:

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I can't offer a long term review for you, but I did have a Spark (or Sonic I can't remember for sure) as a rental last year. Quite a nice little car for what it was.

The thing that really surprised me was the amount of interior room for such a small car. I'm a fairly large person, approx 235# and not only did I fit well, it was downright comfortable to drive.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
Speaking of interior room, I believe the Elantra / Forte border on mid size by interior room. It is so close in exterior size to the '92 blue Century I was shocked. My little girl is so happy and takes care of it. She drove the Century for 4 years.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
we a bought a new, end of year, 2012 ford focus hatchback.
it is, as i can explain it, in between 2 option 'packages'.

it isn't a full on 'titanium' but has options that aren't in the lower package.

anyway, my wife loves it.

gets great mileage, except when loaded down with feed sacks in the back.
(she has no problem going after her own chicken feed at the mfa)

it IS a small car though.
it also isn't the first choice for 2 miles of gravel road.
;)

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
I might look into a kia or hyundia if a manual transmission is available otherwise this spark is what i am interested in from the price point plus it is manual.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54