Looking for the elusive disposable Th200 Non Lock-Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It was an X-body I thought. Some were trimmed real ugly and some were rather attractive. They get zero respect compared to the average G-body and the value reflects that. Really the only people that like them are the ones that realize they have good underpinnings and they are a good platform to build from.
Pretty sure the 79 Lemans was a RWD G Body, like the Pont Grand Prix, Lemans, and Grand Lemans, Bonnevile and all the other names, like Regal, Monte, Malibu, El Co etc. You're thinking of the FWD Citation bodies. Those were fugly.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Pretty sure the 79 Lemans was a RWD G Body, like the Pont Grand Prix, Lemans, and Grand Lemans, Bonnevile and all the other names, like Regal, Monte, Malibu, El Co etc. You're thinking of the FWD Citation bodies. Those were fugly.

No, I'm thinking like the rwd Nova. Ima gunna look it up...

...And a Citation X-11 was a great looking car!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Yep, I was wrong. Just looked it up. Twinsies with a Malibu.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
I think that the X body was introduced in 1980

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, I was wrong. Just looked it up. Twinsies with a Malibu.
Yes, more like a Malibu than a Grand Prix. It's all good. Get's me a little closer on the corrections. What's that make it now, Me 1, you 60 or so??? But I'm catching up now.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes, more like a Malibu than a Grand Prix. It's all good. Get's me a little closer on the corrections. What's that make it now, Me 1, you 60 or so??? But I'm catching up now.

What threw me off was the '74 GTO I think it was. It went from the A-body platform to the X-body for that year. I kind of remembered the LeMans following as well, but obviously not. 70's Pontiacs confuse me.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I could be wrong about that too though :rofl:

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
I thought the metric 200 shared mount locations with the TH350.

Imho, one reason a '79 LeMans is scarce these days is because the excessively light duty transmissions had a tendency to fail, causing their owners to junk the car.

Some cars will never be highly collectible no matter how rare or scarce they are. It really doesn't make sense to search out and install a factory oversight when you already have something better to use. Nobody is going to look under the car and nitpick about an upgraded transmission.

Oh more than likely it has compatibility to use the TH350, I've been searching a while now for a Non-Electronic Lockup but cannot even find one. So I thought well... Maybe I'll have better luck with the Metric 200, It'll only be a Showcar/Parades and Cruiser. Although I'm sure some days during the Late Spring Thru - Fall I'll daily drive it.

I almost thought of doing a TH200-R4 for that OD... But i have no clue what would be needed to make it work. I sure as hell ain't drilling nor cutting anywhere...

The fact you think I care about it's value is funny as hell. I really don't bcuz i'll never get what i want for it with the Amount of NOS parts i've put into it. I Could care Less. I Just prefer Factory.

And sometimes I wonder why I still this forum, I get nothing but picked on Smh...

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Which is it? a Th350 or a Th400? Th350 should bolt right in and not require the crossmember to be moved. A Th400 would. 79 Lemans is nothing more than another G Body. G Bodies came with Th350's all day long too. Direct bolt in.

TH400 Sorry If i excessively Wrung that out. lol :p
Sorry I am not very familiar with them, I prefer 700r4s and the other "not very wanted ones" lol

82Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
6.2L
Yes the 78-81 Pontiac Lemans & 78-83 Chevy Malibu is basically the same except I believe Hood Length, And WB is slightly Longer on the LeMans, but it's nice that that Doors interchange... Hood, Fenders, Trunk Lid Doesn't... Some of the interior parts like the Lower Quarter Sail Panels, The Upper & Lower Window Trim Are Different but can be made to work.

I'm sure the Seats are the same, Dash Is different (Obvsly) lol.

One Mistake a lot of ppl make is that the Malibu's Lowest Option for V6, Yes they both came with the Buick 90 Degree 231 Even-Fire V6, But Only the Malibu came with the 200 & 229 V6 Which If you look online only the buick has the Distribitior in front of the engine, And the 200/229 Is in the back like every Chevy Easiest way to tell if it's a All stock Never messed with Malibu.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh more than likely it has compatibility to use the TH350, I've been searching a while now for a Non-Electronic Lockup but cannot even find one. So I thought well... Maybe I'll have better luck with the Metric 200, It'll only be a Showcar/Parades and Cruiser. Although I'm sure some days during the Late Spring Thru - Fall I'll daily drive it.

I almost thought of doing a TH200-R4 for that OD... But i have no clue what would be needed to make it work. I sure as hell ain't drilling nor cutting anywhere...

The fact you think I care about it's value is funny as hell. I really don't bcuz i'll never get what i want for it with the Amount of NOS parts i've put into it. I Could care Less. I Just prefer Factory.

And sometimes I wonder why I still this forum, I get nothing but picked on Smh...

You missed my point completely. Value does not matter. My point was, it's not a collectable car and nobody is going to give a rat's ass if it has a non-original transmission under it, even if holes were drilled or the driveshaft length is different. There's no point in seeking out an inferior transmission when you already have a better one that will drive and function EXACTLY like the original transmission. It's not like you are changing the wheels or exhaust or paint color, etc. It will still look, feel and drive like when GM screwed it together... you will just spend less money and have a more dependable car.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What threw me off was the '74 GTO I think it was. It went from the A-body platform to the X-body for that year. I kind of remembered the LeMans following as well, but obviously not. 70's Pontiacs confuse me.
Ohh yeah, you have to throw that analagy right out the window. Lines certainly shifted, especially after about 77 when engines became GM engines instead of Buick, Pontiac, Olds, Chevy, and Cad engines as well as anticipation of FWD becoming very common.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You missed my point completely. Value does not matter. My point was, it's not a collectable car and nobody is going to give a rat's ass if it has a non-original transmission under it, even if holes were drilled or the driveshaft length is different. There's no point in seeking out an inferior transmission when you already have a better one that will drive and function EXACTLY like the original transmission. It's not like you are changing the wheels or exhaust or paint color, etc. It will still look, feel and drive like when GM screwed it together... you will just spend less money and have a more dependable car.
YES, for certain. Just put a Th350 in it and be done. It BOLTS right in WITHOUT Driveshaft modification, and WITHOUT moving the crossmember IIRC. First you need to realize there's a differnce between a Th350 and a Th400. I assume you're not aware of that when you mention I have a a Th350/400. So which is it? Do you have Black or White? Do you have a daylight or dark? Because they are that different from one another. The ony thing they have in common is the bell housing. The Th350 and Th200 are the same dimensions and spline external spline count to the best of my recallection. I know for a fact I'd trashed many Th200's and replaced them with Th350's and they simply bolt right in without modifications.

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
YES, for certain. Just put a Th350 in it and be done. It BOLTS right in WITHOUT Driveshaft modification, and WITHOUT moving the crossmember IIRC. First you need to realize there's a differnce between a Th350 and a Th400. I assume you're not aware of that when you mention I have a a Th350/400. So which is it? Do you have Black or White? Do you have a daylight or dark? Because they are that different from one another. The ony thing they have in common is the bell housing. The Th350 and Th200 are the same dimensions and spline external spline count to the best of my recallection. I know for a fact I'd trashed many Th200's and replaced them with Th350's and they simply bolt right in without modifications.
Yes, the TH350 will need a vacuum source and I think that the detent cable is different from the 200. I'm getting old! Haven't done that conversion since probably 1988!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, the TH350 will need a vacuum source and I think that the detent cable is different from the 200. I'm getting old! Haven't done that conversion since probably 1988!

Yep, cooling lines and all that are the same. I did forget about adding vacuum but that's a no biggie. Just tap into the intake manifold or carb port, prefer intake manifold, but whereever you can get it at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia