Looking for a 3/4 ton 14 bolt.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
In stock form, the rear track is narrower than the front. The same applies to the 8-lug trucks too. Well, except duallies.

That is what I was thinking.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Rear track is narrower than the front.

On purpose...

Yep, Ackerman angle.

I honestly don't think it matters much though, because the same track widths were used for multiple wheelbases and the wheelbase plays a really big roll in the angle.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
The narrow rear supposedly helps with the vehicle tracking better but I have know a few fellows that spaced out their wheels to be perfectly aligned and reported nothing weird about their handling but then again I always wonder if these are guys that have worn out suspension anyways so maybe they just can't tell.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
"Supposedly"

There's lots of theories as to why, but it really doesn't change how they drive. Most other vehicles don't have such a large track width difference.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I believe the REAL reason is packaging and cost. On a 4x4, the wider front track was needed for tire clearance while turning. In the rear, GM wanted to keep the housing width the same as the 2wd version to save costs.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Here's another possibility. Vehicles with a narrower track width in the front than the rear are more prone to rollover. Kind of a tricycle effect. So maybe GM designed it wider to improve the safety factor of a vehicle with a high center of gravity.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Sometimes I wish that I had greater 4x4 knowledge that I could deem as sufficient enough to be able to engage in such a discussion, even among friends, without embarrassing myself - but alas, I do not.

I'm relatively new to trucks and even more new to 4x4s. The vast majority of my prior experience is with automobile repair (driveability) and drag racing. I was A.S.E brakes, suspension, and steering however, so it's not as-if I speak from my ass ONLY. :Moon:

Membership on THIS site has proven, and continues to, be extremely valuable. And at these prices? It's a STEAL.

That said, I do not feel sufficiently qualified, nor experienced, to engage in discussions about the ins and outs of track widths of 4x4s.
Certainly I feel that I am able to contribute of some benefit to the pool -and the users - but my primary desire upon joining this site was to learn about squarebody trucks. 4x4s were very much an afterthought. Never owned one before the '75K5.

I imagine the difference in track width stems , as previously stated, from the need for tire clearance in the front - read: improved turning radius - and so that the front and rear axles do NOT follow /ride in the other axle's tracks, thus improving traction by default. Stability I do not believe is worthy of consideration here as that seems too....obvious. No offense intended sir.

I would like to be able to speak of articulation but cannot.

I do NOT know enough about the actual mechanics of vintage GM 4x4 parts to dare begin.

Hell, i've got to go study up on whatever angle ol' bucket was talkin about cause i never even heard of it. :oops:

I simply wanted to make a point. If the General made it that way, it was FOR A REASON. Maybe best not to be changing it?
I for one, don't know what would happen and I only imagine unintended consequence will follow.
Wouldn't something terrible happen LIKE different size tires front to back or axles with different ratios? I don't know enough about it...
I'm here to learn.

As you were. :emotions33:

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've got a big gripe about the narrow rear track, and for this reason alone I'd like a wider rear track if swapping in a different axle.

So many times, someone I know had been following behind me, then later told me that my truck drives crooked down the road. Then I have to explain to them, no it's the narrow rear track width and their perspective from the driver's seat. Not to sound like an *******, but I really hate when ignorant people tell that my stuff is broken! I drive enough broken stuff, I don't need people accusing my unbroken stuff of being broken, lol.

Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
This site will tell you what you need to know. The width chart is at the bottom

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
After sleeping on it I am sure that ultimately the difference in Axle widths has nothing to do with the performance, but rather, what was commonly available between the various axles and what known tolerances would fit between the frame rails and the inner sheet metal of the wheel wells.. Makes sense when you think about how a Dana 44 and 10 bolt are the same from the knuckles out and such.

if it were a matter of tracking alignment then you would think that a truck like a dually would be a train wreck while driving down the road.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What about a 14 bolt from a 88 to 98 truck? Will that bolt in or will it still need modifications? Its a semi float.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size