Looking at a 1985 C10 need some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thank you for letting me post here. I'm looking at a 1985 C10 with a 305 and a 3 speed manual transmission with overdrive. It's about 3 hours from here and from the pictures it looks pretty solid surface rust on the frame and under side. Body is decent, some dents and dings. Rockers, cab corners look good from the pictures. It is a non power brake, non power steering, no ac truck. What exactly do I have here, this is actually what I was looking for but rarely find it. They say it runs and drives and the video shows it running. They want 8900.00 plus 500 to haul it to my location. Can anybody tell me more about this truck and what transmission it is. I tried to find more info on the transmission but no luck. Thanks so much in advance for your help.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Welcome from far west Pa. Alot of money, But if it's what You want,, To Me that is plain Jane modle there's be some guy that know more about than I on here in a Min,

Attachments

• cat in winnder 001.JPG
    cat in winnder 001.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 37

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes I know it is that is what I'm looking for. I would just like to know what transmission may be in it and what some opinions here are on it. I may drive down on Monday to look at it. 8900.00 sounds very high to me but I don't know what these trucks are actually selling for in 2023.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Welcome to forum. 3 hour drive? I'd get a buddy and drive to it to look it over. Runs and drives? Drive it home if it is what you want.

Andy @bucket will know the trans model.

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hoped that helped explain the truck with the link. Thank you.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy from Ohio!

The truck looks very solid and original for sure, so it has that going for it. The transmission is fairly uncommon, it's a New Process A833 and that adds value too. Being a long bed though, certainly decreases the value (to the average C10 buyer, not my personal opinion) as do the dents all over. I can't say much about the value, it's a whole different market these days. 20 years ago, a friend bought a nearly identical truck (auto trans) from a dealer for $1500... but that was 20 years ago, lol.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I've read that the 3 speed with overdrive transmission is the A-833 (or NP-440), made by Chrysler, and GM and Chrysler used it in their trucks. Basically a good transmission for economy, but it probably won't take the abuse that a 4 speed with super low would take. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/chryslers-a-833-np-440-four-speed-transmission

The truck is probably worth the asking price if the body is actually quite rust free. In my experience the most expensive repairs these days are body work, unless you know somebody who does work on the side. Most body shops are very busy, and their prices reflect it. Drivetrain is much easier for do-it-yourself work, and most repairs don't require that many tools. Its the same SBC that was used in 100s of thousands of GM vehicles, so parts are available from many sources.

If the engine runs and you can drive it for a while, that gives you time to decide what else you want to do with it. Crate 350's or junkyard pulls are available from many sources, or you can get something like an L31 Vortec and have much better performance. Most of them will drop in with minimal changes to your truck. I am not a fan of buying a really basic truck because I like them more heavily optioned. However, everyone has his preferences.

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. That was a big help.

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Howdy from Ohio!

The truck looks very solid and original for sure, so it has that going for it. The transmission is fairly uncommon, it's a New Process A833 and that adds value too. Being a long bed though, certainly decreases the value (to the average C10 buyer, not my personal opinion) as do the dents all over. I can't say much about the value, it's a whole different market these days. 20 years ago, a friend bought a nearly identical truck (auto trans) from a dealer for $1500... but that was 20 years ago, lol.
I purchased a 1977 half ton 4WD lifted a couple inches big tires fully restored fresh 350 not a spec of rust the paint was gorgeous interior was perfect paid 4200.00 in 2011. Never drove it in the winter and decided to sell it because I really wasn't driving it much that was 2014. Could not give it away, decided to auction it off here locally and got 6800.00. Today I could get 23000.00 from anybody I work with or know. I don't know what happened to the market but I made a big mistake selling that.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
All opinion of course…
I’d say the chances of it being mostly or completely rust free are pretty good.
The paint on the hood is original (black primer underneath) so likely the whole truck is original paint. Blessing and a curse with the 80s peelers.

Original looking exhaust/cat and seat in good shape are all positive clues that it’s not a rust bucket and also hasn’t been used excessively.

It’s got 2 S10 hubcaps, lol. And those are some nasty dents/creases. But fixable imo.

Value? All over the board. Your quadrant of the country is the most expensive. Followed by the SE, SW and then NW, in general, in order, for pricing.
And rust free in the rust belt is worth a lot more $ and this one may very well be that truck. Opinion, it’s worth what a similar rust free truck +shipping is worth. So $5k in IL giver take.
Around here that’s a $2500 truck on a good day. $3k to a sucker.

In fact I know where one almost identical to it is sitting, as we speak.
Same color scheme but with the light tan bottom color and it’s a 6 banger Turbo 400. Paint is better. Body is better, less dents (except needs a new bed front and the floor is pretty hammered).
Shipping is cheap when the truck only costs 25-30% as much. Just throwing out ideas.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
IMHO, it’s worth the drive to go look. Here in Washington State, I found four or five trucks that I wanted, but all had severe hidden rust issues. Not trying to scare you! And it was exhausting at the time. But I’m glad I spent the time.

I’d get up at 5, leave at 6, and was there by 9 and still had the whole day in front of me. I ran all over western Washington, and even down to the Portland area- but only once. If you’re spending the cash, I’d say go put hands on it. But do whatever suits you, and good luck in your search!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, location matters a bunch. I'll bet that's why the truck is for sale in Illinois and not Alabama, lol. If it were at a dealership over here in Ohio, it would probably cary a similar price tag. I don't know what those trucks ever sell for, but the dealerships do sell them. It's not like they sit around and never sell.

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
All opinion of course…
I’d say the chances of it being mostly or completely rust free are pretty good.
The paint on the hood is original (black primer underneath) so likely the whole truck is original paint. Blessing and a curse with the 80s peelers.

Original looking exhaust/cat and seat in good shape are all positive clues that it’s not a rust bucket and also hasn’t been used excessively.

It’s got 2 S10 hubcaps, lol. And those are some nasty dents/creases. But fixable imo.

Value? All over the board. Your quadrant of the country is the most expensive. Followed by the SE, SW and then NW, in general, in order, for pricing.
And rust free in the rust belt is worth a lot more $ and this one may very well be that truck. Opinion, it’s worth what a similar rust free truck +shipping is worth. So $5k in IL giver take.
Around here that’s a $2500 truck on a good day. $3k to a sucker.

In fact I know where one almost identical to it is sitting, as we speak.
Same color scheme but with the light tan bottom color and it’s a 6 banger Turbo 400. Paint is better. Body is better, less dents (except needs a new bed front and the floor is pretty hammered).
Shipping is cheap when the truck only costs 25-30% as much. Just throwing out ideas.
I'm going to check it out tomorrow I noticed those caps as well but in the rest of the pictures they have the old style on them. The one thing that this truck has that I want is nothing. I wanted a bare bones 4 speed 2 wheel drive but did not expect no power brakes and no power steering that's a bonus to me. I know it sounds crazy. I hope that 833 transmission is ok. I guess we will find out. Thanks for the info.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm going to check it out tomorrow I noticed those caps as well but in the rest of the pictures they have the old style on them. The one thing that this truck has that I want is nothing. I wanted a bare bones 4 speed 2 wheel drive but did not expect no power brakes and no power steering that's a bonus to me. I know it sounds crazy. I hope that 833 transmission is ok. I guess we will find out. Thanks for the info.
Sweet! Sounds like the perfect rig then!
Actually I kinda have the same thoughts about that one I mentioned.
It’s got Flintstone brakes and Armstrong steering too. And the right trans for a big motor and big burnouts!
We had one 1/2 ton with an A833 back in the day. It got abused like the rest of the landscape trucks. All I really remember about is is nothing. Never had to pull the trans out of it! But I recall they’re not great under big power though. Ain’t no M22

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128