Look like a crack to you??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Engine is a 350 sbc in my truck. It's been overheating. I have troubleshot every component in the coolant system. Radiator, pump, t stat, flushed the coolant, pressure tested the radiator then did a block test. Block test failed. So internal engine coolant leak. Cool. Its a head gasket. Not. Both HG look good. okay,, so it has to be a cracked head. I inspected them and didn't see anything. Took them to a shop today. Upon inspection, nothing. Getting magna fluxed tomorrow. we will see.

So with that being said, decided to re inspect the cylinder walls. Found this. Can't really tell if it's scoring or a crack. What do y'all think?

You must be registered for see images attach

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
Is all the carbon gone in that cylinder? Carbon gone indicates that is the cylinder where the leak is. Are you referring to the vertical straight lines? Those come from 1 broken ring (I don't think so) or 2 debris riding up and down with rings (like big chunks of carbon blasted loose in combustion chamber by coolant).

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
You will need to have the block magna-fluxed to know for sure.

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Not sure I'm catching your drift about the carbon. there's carbon on the piston and top of cylinder wall. But yes I'm talking about the vertical line. Looks like scoring to me. But I've had several mixed opinions from others. Seems to straight to be a crack. But then again you never know.

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
The straight lines are NOT cracks. I don't see any carbon on the piston, may be the lighting.
Bob

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ok thanks guys. I'm just going to slap it together again and hope for the best.

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
One more question. What's the part number to the plug that plugs into the water temp sensor? Not the actual sensor. But the plug at the end of the wire that plugs into the sensor.

Gmule

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Fleetside long bed
Engine Size
Are you wanting to close the hole that the sensor goes into?

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
No I'm not. The end that plugs into the sensor is broken. So the previous owner just stripped the wire and wrapped it around the post of the sensor.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No I'm not. The end that plugs into the sensor is broken. So the previous owner just stripped the wire and wrapped it around the post of the sensor.
Mine just looks like the female end of a little blade connector. dunno if that's whats supposed to be on their, but that's what the previous owner used.

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hmm. IIRC, the post on the sensor is a cylinder. So a blade connector wouldn't work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taco main chew