Locker and 13 bolt shave install.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I hope every time either of you go through a real deep puddle you remember to check your diff fluid.

That's how funny you two sound.

I never check or change my differential fluid unless it's leaking or I have a reason to go in there.

My post was related to some comments about the cut-down ring gears failing which some suggested was from the removal of material and I thought it may have more to do with people driving their uber-manly rock crawlers on the highway 99-94/100% of the time with an aftermarket diff cover. Because, you know, that tin cover the factory put on isn't studly enough to be seen past the truck nuts.

If you actually watched the videos you'd see that slow speed off road isn't an issue and an aftermarket cover may have it's benefits, but if you intend to drive to and from Moab at highway speeds that's where they fall down and probably fry your bearings or gears.

But by all means, carry on as you see fit. I wasn't trying to insult your maintenance schedule or your engineering.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I never check or change my differential fluid unless it's leaking or I have a reason to go in there.

My post was related to some comments about the cut-down ring gears failing which some suggested was from the removal of material and I thought it may have more to do with people driving their uber-manly rock crawlers on the highway 99-94/100% of the time with an aftermarket diff cover. Because, you know, that tin cover the factory put on isn't studly enough to be seen past the truck nuts.

If you actually watched the videos you'd see that slow speed off road isn't an issue and an aftermarket cover may have it's benefits, but if you intend to drive to and from Moab at highway speeds that's where they fall down and probably fry your bearings or gears.

But by all means, carry on as you see fit. I wasn't trying to insult your maintenance schedule or your engineering.

I can find no corroborating evidence to the cracked ring gear theory.

Notice all 14 bolt covers look darn near stock, even after market.

I am thieving other peoples engineering.

I will carry on, and be the first to tell you all if I crack a ring gear dailying/bashing a shaved 14 bolt, or have any other issues.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I thought 78 and I were the young bucks around here...lol!

At least after honky scared the other ones away.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Trailer queens(that are not purpose built) are just as bad as a squatted no sidewall P.O.S.(My opinion)

Yes that is just YOUR opinion. And MY opinion is that you are correct. :happy160:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I look at that like I should only ride dual sports, because towing my motocross bike is lame. Which is silly.

The really purpose built stuff isn’t always street legal.

I think it’s all cool if people are having fun with stuff they’ve earned. I respect it all.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
all above mentioned is correct.

if you take your truck offroad with a 14 bolt, you will quickly realize your diff gets hung up on everything it can find. I have read zero reports of damages diff cases from either shaving or 13 bolt conversions. ORD runs shaved and 13 bolt kits and I bet the run harder than us.

its not for everyone I guess....but it makes damn good sense to do if you wheel it all.

This is true but then again I have never read of a damaged Diff case from dragging it over everything. I jthink I would just prefer to add lockers to both axles and more power

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected

I drive my truck from and to the trails. And most of the time I just cruise at around 60- truck seems to like it and I've never had any issues.

But several years ago a trail took me longer than I thought and I had to haul butt back home to pick up my kid from school. So I did an hour of highway driving at 70-75 mph. Screaming along at 3500 RPM made it in time. But when I got out of my truck I smelled oil- my 14 bolt rear diff puked its fluid out of the vent hose attached onto the underside of the bed. Differential was very hot. It has never done this again- but I haven't driven that fast. In fact I drove it to my parents a few weeks ago with a load of firewood on the highway. It's 2.5 hours by highway (at 60 mph) to get there.

Why? Was it the aftermarket thick cover?

You must be registered for see images attach

Was it the fact that my exhaust dumps before the axle and maybe all that exhaust was heating it up?

Don't know.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size