Locker and 13 bolt shave install.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
all above mentioned is correct.

if you take your truck offroad with a 14 bolt, you will quickly realize your diff gets hung up on everything it can find. I have read zero reports of damages diff cases from either shaving or 13 bolt conversions. ORD runs shaved and 13 bolt kits and I bet the run harder than us.

its not for everyone I guess....but it makes damn good sense to do if you wheel it all.

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
It definitely is alot.

I haven't seen these cooling issues. I will Look into that. These reports on Pirate 4x4? Have any links?

Damn your machine shop. Lol

I do daily this, but the furthest she goes is this.

You must be registered for see images attach

I don't have any links on me. next time I run into one I will remember to come back and post the link

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I don't have any links on me. next time I run into one I will remember to come back and post the link

I did alot of searching, came across 3 posts from 2012 on Pirate. Seems to be a non issue. You lose so little fluid with the shave. But if you do find more definitive evidence to contradict that, I wanna read it.

ORD does the Ultimate Adventure with they're rig.

Maybe it's the start of a tall tale.

Last edited:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
This may be relevant. Gale Banks (a guy who usually underwhelms me greatly) did some testing on differential covers and found out some very interesting details about how oil circulates and why most aftermarket (insert manly grunting here) covers are detrimental to cooling and lubrication.

He did a couple of videos of how the did the testing and I was surprised at how well the research was done. There were a couple of follow ups but alas, he never quite got around to finalizing the cover he was designing. But ultimately it seems that the stock cover is best. Once again re-engineering what GM spent a fortune on engineering in the first place, usually not a good idea.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
This may be relevant. Gale Banks (a guy who usually underwhelms me greatly) did some testing on differential covers and found out some very interesting details about how oil circulates and why most aftermarket (insert manly grunting here) covers are detrimental to cooling and lubrication.

He did a couple of videos of how the did the testing and I was surprised at how well the research was done. There were a couple of follow ups but alas, he never quite got around to finalizing the cover he was designing. But ultimately it seems that the stock cover is best. Once again re-engineering what GM spent a fortune on engineering in the first place, usually not a good idea.

I was going to bring this up, but I assumed guys with the super tough diff covers knew this and changed fluid more often... but yeah, for daily driven rigs, stock cover is best.

Got a buddy who started norcal rock racing and a couple other events and designs KOH courses. Needless to say, if I have anything hardcore off-road related, I pick his brain. I ask him questions relating to my rzr turbo build. We got to talking diff covers one day and he told me to run a stock one.

However, if you wheel often enough to necessitate a shave, hopefully your doing maintenance really frequently.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size

I was going to bring this up, but I assumed guys with the super tough diff covers knew this and changed fluid more often... but yeah, for daily driven rigs, stock cover is best.

Got a buddy who started norcal rock racing and a couple other events and designs KOH courses. Needless to say, if I have anything hardcore off-road related, I pick his brain. I ask him questions relating to my rzr turbo build. We got to talking diff covers one day and he told me to run a stock one.

However, if you wheel often enough to necessitate a shave, hopefully your doing maintenance really frequently.

I hope every time either of you go through a real deep puddle you remember to check your diff fluid.

That's how funny you two sound.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I drive waaay around puddles...they’re yucky

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
My off-road toys get new fluids every 2 or 3 trips. So yeah, I’m kinda anal. The viscosity in lubricants break down in my stuff before it looks dirty. Comes out thinner than water after 10-15 hours of use.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
My off-road toys get new fluids every 2 or 3 trips. So yeah, I’m kinda anal. The viscosity in lubricants break down in my stuff before it looks dirty. Comes out thinner than water after 10-15 hours of use.

Our stuff is still on the road. Probably well taken care of.

Wish I had a buddy building KOH stuff.

But alas, I have had to do all my own research.

I still wouldn't be caught dead off road in a SXS. J/K

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I still wouldn't be caught dead off road in a SXS. J/K
I used to say the same thing...until my first ride through the rubicon in one. It’ll go 30-40mph through rock gardens that trucks have to crawl through... smoother than a caddy. It really is unbelievable the speed you can carry through really rough stuff.

I still prefer dirt bikes, but my wife likes the rzr.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size

Have you ever watched an entire Ultimate Adventure?

Many states, wheeling everyday, mixed with side roads, and highway.

Most if not all have "tuff" diff covers, and shaved, or trimmed 14 bolts if that's what they run.

I want a rig I can drive to the trail, and bar catastrophic failure drive home.

I have done my research and everything leads me to believe a shave wont hinder it being a reliable daily.

Maybe ask your KOH friend if I am wrong in my assumption.

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I saw this and wondered what the heck it was. So I read on. And then I asked myself, "Why the heck would you cut off part of your axle like that?" Is it only to gain ground clearance? Interesting modification, but what does it do? And then what is this full shave that @Arkansas_V8 mentioned?
I Also did the same!

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I used to say the same thing...until my first ride through the rubicon in one. It’ll go 30-40mph through rock gardens that trucks have to crawl through... smoother than a caddy. It really is unbelievable the speed you can carry through really rough stuff.

I still prefer dirt bikes, but my wife likes the rzr.

I watch them when I go to Disney, Oklahoma. Not my cup of tea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88