LMC Headliner question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
I agree this would be the way to go with the factory liners as it would not be hard to poke through with an awl. The reproductions have a hard plastic backer that you can’t just poke through looking for the holes. Hopefully next week I can get out and work on mine.
The ABS plastic one piece headliners are easy to install, they’re made well and look great. I’ve bought and installed many. Just some minor trimming at the visor mount holes. it’s definitely an upgrade to the original.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I went to do my headliner this weekend ands it went less than stellar. The visor holes were perect...the hole for the interior light was not. It is about 2" wider than the light base. UGH! Now I have to recover it and cut the holes again.
I tell you, not one thing has gone smooth on this rebuild. If I couldget out of it what I have in it I would seriously think about selling it. My daughter on the otherhand would kill me since it is hers.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
I want to help my son install a headliner to cover up the bare metal like you are doing and have a few questions. Is there space between the metal and the headliner you are installing? Enough to ad some thin insulation? Like Dynamat.

Instead of dealing with cutting triangles for the visor mounts, would it be possible to just make a single round hole just a bit bigger than the round spring/hinge that protrudes from the back side of the visor mount, then after installing headliner, line up each visor mount and use an all/punch to locate the mounting holes for the screws. The front side of the mount would cover the hole. Screws would go THROUGH the headliner material. Wondering if this would work but don't know how thick material is and if there is a gap between headliner and metal ceiling when installed.

The big question, did it come with any instructions? I am surprised at how many companies do not include even the most simple instructions.
Yes, plenty of room for Dynamat.. and I recommend it. I’ve used it under many headliners to go along with the sound deadener covering the rest of the cab. The Noico brand 80 mil is just as good, for half the price.
You must be registered for see images attach

midwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So I got delayed on the project and set the headliner aside a month or so ago. I got a call today from LMC customer service, I originally contacted them to just ask what size the triangle should be. The told me they pulled one off the shelf and said the triangles should be 2 inches on each side and they could see from the pictures mine was not cut right. They said are sending a new one. I asked them about the old one and the lady on the phone said she wasn't sure if they would want it sent back or not. She said if I don't hear from them before the new one arrives I can keep it. The customer service was slow but at least they got back with me and took care of it.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Hello, I am a newbie here and have a question I haven't been able to find the answer too. I bought a headliner kit from LMC (ABS plastic with fabric). I was going to install it today and I cut out out the fabric on the pre cut triangles for the visors. I think the pre cut triangles in the headliner they sent me are the wrong size. I have been trying to talk to the people at customer service and they can't picture what I am trying to say so I had to email them pictures and am now awaiting for a response. Easy way to explain it, the triangle that was pre cut in my headliner is 1 3/4" on each side, from corner to corner. The screw holes in my sun visor bracket are 2 inches from hole to hole. I assume the triangle cut out should be just large enough (just over 2 inches on each side) so the screws from my visor are inside of the hole/triangle? The way it is right now I would either have to cut out the triangle larger or drill holes and shoot screws through the fabric which I don't want to do. When I look at the plastic backer I can see a line that looks like it is supposed to be the true size of the cut out. Ill see if I can attach the photos I sent them. The arrows in the first pic are where I think it should have been cut out from the factory.....
Save some hassle, just take some sharp tin snips and enlarge the triangles, making sure the visor bases still cover.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
I replaced headliner on my 86 gmc using the original board good shape and a piece of headliner material. Glued it together and installed back. The visor bracket sits on top of the liner material and board. Poked holes for screws thru liner. This way visor helps hold liner board up top cab roof.
This was the way factory had it installed .
I did the same, came out great. I did over cut the fabric a bit on the passenger side visor hole, but the headliner trim covers it up.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
So I installed my lmc headliner last night. It looks great. It is a three person job, lol. The visor triangles were no biggie, workable. The cab light was a non starter. It is off center of the factory light, and the hole is to big, so you can not wiggle the light over. I am installing a small filler piece to cover the gap.
Eric

Albrigap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I replaced headliner on my 86 gmc using the original board good shape and a piece of headliner material. Glued it together and installed back. The visor bracket sits on top of the liner material and board. Poked holes for screws thru liner. This way visor helps hold liner board up top cab roof.
This was the way factory had it installed .
I just did a 90 Suburban using the old cardboard backer.
Remove it from the vehicle.
I peeled the old cover off and used a hand wire brush to scratch off the old foam to get down to the cardboard.
The cardboard needs to be dust free.
Then find headliner glue, which is a super contact cement that will not let go due to the high heat of summer.
Glue it on per the instructions and reinstall.
I bought my headliner material at Hobby Lobby.
A Suburban takes a lot.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Pictures or it did not happen.
Rules lol
Eric

1lejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
1985 , 2004
Truck Model
k-1500, 2500 HD
Engine Size
350, 6.7
My head liner is already dropping. The fabric is pulling away from the plastic backing. It's only been installed about a year. It still looks ok compared to the original, But disappointing for the cost. Stuff like that really makes you appreciate the factory equipment and its durability. On another note I've always wondered how those multi 6 figure dollar custom builds last.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Whose headliner did you install? We are trying to keep track of the good stuff and the not so good. I echo the question " we built it, it is bad ass, pay us a $hit ton of money. What do they look like later? Inquiring minds want to know.
Eric

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I appreciate this thread a lot. I plan on recovering the one on my crew cab soon and will probably start doing them all myself.
I had one done by a reputable shop for my son's truck and the material has a thin foam and it looks like +4 pitting edema that doesn't recover fully.

Albrigap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
My head liner is already dropping. The fabric is pulling away from the plastic backing. It's only been installed about a year. It still looks ok compared to the original, But disappointing for the cost. Stuff like that really makes you appreciate the factory equipment and its durability. On another note I've always wondered how those multi 6 figure dollar custom builds last.
I see you are in Texas.
The heat there has to be a killer.
You must use the high heat headliner glue.
It is a much better grade of contact cement.
Don't be cheap here.
Buy it from a reputable parts store or demand it be used in your install.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Very nice!
Eric