light wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
alright fellas i'm having to rewire up my back lights. i am getting turn signals brake lights all that, but im not getting any power for the tail lights so i ran a new wire. this might be a stupid question but do i need to hook the wire for the tail lights into the turn signal or the brake lights?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The tail lights (lit whenever the headlights or parking lights are switched on) are fed from the brown wire. The same wire that is feeding your marker lights (brown) should also tie into the tail lights.

You must be registered for see images attach

From Chucks:

This is a typical 1973 - 1987 headlight wiring schematic. Colors may or may not vary from year to year. One of the harnesses I have, had the sockets replaced at one time. The wires coming out of the sockets of the turn signals below the headlights are the same on both sides. Each has a yellow, a dark brown, and a black. Peeling off some tape, revealed which colors they were spliced into. I have a 1977, 1979, and a 1980 harness. All three had the same seven wire colors shown in my diagram. Missing in the diagram is the brown wire that feeds the left front marker lamp. It connects the same as the right side marker lamp brown wire (to the left front marker light).

You must be registered for see images attach

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
Thanks brother I've been pulling my hair with this lol