Lifting engine in place with carb studs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I have 2 of the leveler tools, don't think I've ever used them as many have said a piece of chain works great and as far as level which ever chain link you choose frt to rear will determine the angle coming out or going in I 've always got the front real high compared to the rear then stick a floor jack under the trans as I'm coming down to level things out.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I have pulled and replaced and engine with my bare hands. It was my '64 Ford Falcon and I lifted the bare block out and back in again. I pulled the heads and intake, all the pulleys and stuff. Rad was out giving me more room. Those small block Fords were probably the lightest and most compact V8 ever.
We had a tractor with a bucket I used to make a 'table' just a bit higher than the rad support, and basically just over it. I couldn't actually use the tractor to lift and lower anything smoothly. I was 18 at the time, my last year of highschool. Had to get my hotrod running... ad I did! Cool car.

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Never seen exhaust manifolds like that. Custom made?

There was a bad batch of iron back in the mid 80's that was causing the cast iron exhaust manifolds to crack. For 2 years Chevy made stainless steel tubular manifolds while they figured out the problems with the iron. My 86 454 came with them, but I thought that was only a big block problem. This is the first time I've seen them on a small block.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There was a bad batch of iron back in the mid 80's that was causing the cast iron exhaust manifolds to crack. For 2 years Chevy made stainless steel tubular manifolds while they figured out the problems with the iron. My 86 454 came with them, but I thought that was only a big block problem. This is the first time I've seen them on a small block.

They weren't on all of the trucks, just '85-'86 models with heavier GVW options apparently.

Wumbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
They weren't on all of the trucks, just '85-'86 models with heavier GVW options apparently.

Yeah, C20 with no factory cats I think

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Biggest problem most people have is waaay too much distance between the boom and engine. If you leave the chain on the leveler and have one on your boom, you're 2 feet above the engine before you even start jacking it up. Boom tip pointing toward the sky and you still haven't cleared the core support.
I use a twisted clevis. My boom has a slot where the chain drops through. I pull the bolt and insert the clevis. That's what hooks to the lifting plate. About 2" from the clevis to the plate. Much more control, too. You'll need a few chain links if you're pulling engine and transmission but not as many as most think - 4" - 6" is plenty.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Biggest problem most people have is waaay too much distance between the boom and engine. If you leave the chain on the leveler and have one on your boom, you're 2 feet above the engine before you even start jacking it up. Boom tip pointing toward the sky and you still haven't cleared the core support.
I use a twisted clevis. My boom has a slot where the chain drops through. I pull the bolt and insert the clevis. That's what hooks to the lifting plate. About 2" from the clevis to the plate. Much more control, too. You'll need a few chain links if you're pulling engine and transmission but not as many as most think - 4" - 6" is plenty.

I've got a hook on a swivel, with few links between it and the boom. It works wonderfully and I can't believe that engine hoists don't come standard with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk