Let's talk radiators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
while doing my rebuild I am going to need to redo the cooling system and it starts with replacing the cracked out 29 year old factory radiator. I am assuming this because I have no records of it being changed and it looks factory.

Anyways I was searching around and found out an aluminum core is the way to go. Along with the diameter of the tubes is important. More contact to help cool the coolant and I've read 2 row with 1" to 1.25" tubes are more effecient than 3 and 4 rows. Due to the fact the air flow flows better and doesn't get disrupted like in the 3 and 4 row radiators. Other flaws of the 3 and 4 rows is the tube size. They're smaller so less contact. Seen that a 3 row had tube size .63, that's 1.89" of surface area where as the 2 row has 2".

what is everyone using to replace the stock radiator? I know I could go down to oreillys and get a Murray one but I do not like the looks of a plastic case with aluminum core. I want an all aluminum radiator to give it a nice look in the engine bay. Plus I would like to convert over to an electric fan as well while I am at it.

All I can find are ones for 28x17 core which I have a 28 1/4x 19 core. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
while doing my rebuild I am going to need to redo the cooling system and it starts with replacing the cracked out 29 year old factory radiator. I am assuming this because I have no records of it being changed and it looks factory.

Anyways I was searching around and found out an aluminum core is the way to go. Along with the diameter of the tubes is important. More contact to help cool the coolant and I've read 2 row with 1" to 1.25" tubes are more effecient than 3 and 4 rows. Due to the fact the air flow flows better and doesn't get disrupted like in the 3 and 4 row radiators. Other flaws of the 3 and 4 rows is the tube size. They're smaller so less contact. Seen that a 3 row had tube size .63, that's 1.89" of surface area where as the 2 row has 2".

what is everyone using to replace the stock radiator? I know I could go down to oreillys and get a Murray one but I do not like the looks of a plastic case with aluminum core. I want an all aluminum radiator to give it a nice look in the engine bay. Plus I would like to convert over to an electric fan as well while I am at it.

All I can find are ones for 28x17 core which I have a 28 1/4x 19 core. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Honestly, there is no need for an all aluminum radiator. You are going to pay out the ears for a good one, and you will likely have issues with a cheap one. One of my good friends runs a hotrod and fab shop, and has seen tons of issues with the aluminum radiators failing.

For a squarebody, I would run a Spectra Premium CU730. This is the replacement radiator for a 454 squarebody with HD cooling. I'm running one with my LS swap with electric fans, and it works great. I'm using LT1 Camaro fans (can be found on Ebay for ~75, make sure to use V8 fans, V6 fans look identical, but the motors are less powerful) with a Tejas steel works fan shroud. If you don't already have the larger radiator mounting bracket (see pictures), you can get it, and the cushions, from LMC for pretty reasonable price.

You must be registered for see images attach

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm gonna go with aluminum in mine, got a couple friends that pull 40ft toy haulers loaded with duallys with no issues in 110* weather, I wouldn't think I'd have any problems cruising in my C10...

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
My '90 Suburban isn't a daily-driver, it's a hauler and tower. Most of what it does is in the mountains, in the heat, towing a 2,400lb camper, plus an interior full of people and gear. One of the grades we climb takes 30min at about 35mph, another takes 45min......so not a lot of air flow available.

I've progressed through the factory radiator sizes, starting with the original 3 row version, and then the 4 row 454 version, and just 2 months ago installed the much longer 2WD 454 radiator. This final radiator is 34" at the core, and 19" tall. The truck's have the mounting holes for these longer radiators.

Just towed last week for the first time with the new setup, and it has made a huge difference. I'm still using the factory fan and fan clutch, as well as the big factory engine oil cooler. I've added a TRU-Cool (B&M Super Cooler) 1.5" thick, 11"x11" trans cooler, with a 3/4 ton's pusher fan in front of it, along with a B&M finned, cast aluminum transmission pan that holds 3 extra quarts.

You can see my radiator install here: http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15474

Last edited:

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I put a aluminum radiator in my big block truck
and have one in my work truck that I tow with constantly
both are 4 core and love them
just make sure when you buy one the
tanks are 100% welded, no epoxy !!

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
For a squarebody, I would run a Spectra Premium CU730. This is the replacement radiator for a 454 squarebody with HD cooling. I'm running one with my LS swap with electric fans, and it works great. I'm using LT1 Camaro fans (can be found on Ebay for ~75, make sure to use V8 fans, V6 fans look identical, but the motors are less powerful) with a Tejas steel works fan shroud. If you don't already have the larger radiator mounting bracket (see pictures), you can get it, and the cushions, from LMC for pretty reasonable price

I thought about a Spectra but I'm still not so sure about the plastic shell. My current one hairline cracked on both of the inlet and outlet holes. Could be due to the age and plastic deteriorating over time.

I've progressed through the factory radiator sizes, starting with the original 3 row version, and then the 4 row 454 version, and just 2 months ago installed the much longer 2WD 454 radiator. This final radiator is 34" at the core, and 19" tall. The truck's have the mounting holes for these longer radiators.
I've been reading your thread. That's awesome but I don't think I need that big of a radiator. My hauling days are over with this truck. I'm in Missouri and since this truck will be a spring/summer truck I do not want to chance overheating it while driving to work. Our temps vary in the summers and during August but like yesterday we were very close to 100 with an index of 110°. Just trying to figure out what's best for those high temps.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Honestly, there is no need for an all aluminum radiator. You are going to pay out the ears for a good one, and you will likely have issues with a cheap one. One of my good friends runs a hotrod and fab shop, and has seen tons of issues with the aluminum radiators failing.

For a squarebody, I would run a Spectra Premium CU730. This is the replacement radiator for a 454 squarebody with HD cooling. I'm running one with my LS swap with electric fans, and it works great. I'm using LT1 Camaro fans (can be found on Ebay for ~75, make sure to use V8 fans, V6 fans look identical, but the motors are less powerful) with a Tejas steel works fan shroud. If you don't already have the larger radiator mounting bracket (see pictures), you can get it, and the cushions, from LMC for pretty reasonable price.

I love this look but it probably wouldn't hold up well in the mud and the cricks would it definetly looks harder to clean out

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I found this while I was searching

http://www.speedcooling.com/1973_1987_Chevy_Truck_Aluminum_Radiator.html

Seems decent enough and reasonable on price. Only issue is their wording. One says 28x19 core and will not fit 28x17. Then further down in the description it states 28x17 core and actual size 34x19. I contacted them asking about it and still have yet to get a response. We shall see.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I found this while I was searching

http://www.speedcooling.com/1973_1987_Chevy_Truck_Aluminum_Radiator.html

Seems decent enough and reasonable on price. Only issue is their wording. One says 28x19 core and will not fit 28x17. Then further down in the description it states 28x17 core and actual size 34x19. I contacted them asking about it and still have yet to get a response. We shall see.

The 28x17 is the core size, 34x19 is probably with the tanks included.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
The 28x17 is the core size, 34x19 is probably with the tanks included.

That's what I was thinking. i read it wrong. This is the smaller of the two. I have the bigger one. Crap back to the drawing board. Everything on this truck is HD so must be safe to assume the cooling system is that of a 3/4t or 1ton.

TheGreenBarron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sergio
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Radiator

Any experience with champion radiators?

I got my Dad a Champion radiator 6 months back to replace the stick unit on his 54 Bel-Air. It is good enough but not very pretty (welds dont loot to great). But it has held him iver until he saves enough to get a quality stock looking unit.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I got my Dad a Champion radiator 6 months back to replace the stick unit on his 54 Bel-Air. It is good enough but not very pretty (welds dont loot to great). But it has held him iver until he saves enough to get a quality stock looking unit.

is he running electric fans? how many rows was it? besides the ascetics hows the functionality of it?

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I got one in my 63 Nova and it looks and works great, for whatever it's worth..

they're who I am looking at going with. now I have to decide on their 2 row or 4 row. one is 2" of contact the other is 2.52" contact. with fans 6.5" vs 7" I am pretty sure I will have room for 7" from core support to the water pump pulley.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69