Less problematic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve-o81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Hi, I was just wondering peoples opinions on a performance carburetor that takes less adjustments like the Edelbrock does compared to the Holley. I do not want a q-jet. I like the Edelbrock 600cfm for my 350 but am considering more power at 600cfm out of a stock carburetor. Any suggestions or should I just stick with an Edelbrock for my street motor? Thanks!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You will likely get a lot of varying opinions on this topic, maybe even a few arguments. It seems we all have strong opinions on carburetors. So I'll give mine first. For ease of setting up the first time and making adjustments in the future I think the winner is Edelbrock. For longevity, best power, best fuel economy, staying in tune without need adjustments I think the winner is Quadrajet. I'm not really fan of Holley, but have been warming up to them more recently. Biggest down falls, I think Edelbrocks tend to have more heat soak issues than other carbs, can be finicky with fuel pressure and may require a regulator to operate properly, seems like they need to have their mixture screws adjusted more often. Quadrajet, complicated carburetor to rebuild, welch plugs in bottom of float bowl need to be resealed in old age. Unfortunately the Q-jet get a bad rap from some who don't understand them. Holley, power valves that can blow out, side hung float bowls have the potential to leak at gaskets, in general tend to be the hardest on MPG. Just about any appropriately sized carburetor can be tuned to do whatever you want it to do. So in the end the choice is up to you, but given that you don't want a Q-jet, and like the simplicity of the edlebrock, in your case I'd say stick with it.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Instead of the Edelbrock performer I would get the AVS2. Lots of good reviews on the AVS2 and it seems to be easier to adjust for performance . They have versions up to 800 cfm, so it should flow what you need.

Don’t forget about some extra parts you may need with the Edelbrock. You need a banjo fitting or spacer to make a stock air cleaner clear the fuel fitting, or you need to buy the proper Edelbrock air cleaner (1221, etc.). They also recommend using the 8031 bracket for throttle and trans kick down. There is another 8026 adapter needed for the 700R4. It all adds up.

As a bargain carburetor I also looked at the Quik Fuel Brawler series. Lots of good reviews, but I’ve never actually seen one in use.

I’m still using my Quadrajet, after rebuilding and rejetting it. I’ve learned a lot and it finally runs smooth, but it’s not simple to get the right combination if you have a few mods. The ability to tune one for just about any engine combination is both an advantage and a PIA when it’s not quite right.

Bruce

Last edited:

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I am into holley carbs but I will say that they are not the best out of the box, They really need to be messed with to get them dialed in. I am working on a brawler 650cfm double pumper on my blazer right now trying to get it perfect

That being said I think all carbs need to be tuned some out of the box but if you are not into that I would go with the avs2 like bruce said. Its a nice carb. (I have one on my v-8 jeep cj7), its a 650 cfm and the engine is a 9.5 to 1, 360 amc with a mild cam. My jeep gets with it and I did not have to do much to the avs2 out of the box. I was going to put a holley carb. on it but runs so good I didn't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP