LED headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nuckollsr

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
4.3L
I have converted a number of vehicles to LED with nearly zero problems. Modern LED drop-ins MUST include a built-in constant current power supply. Most have an input voltage range of 10 to 30 volts but in any case, every LED replacement I've purchased off eBay required no special wiring. Plug-n-Play. They draw substantially less current, hence no relay kit needed either. If you're replacing auto headlamps, the eBay offering will cite the specific part number that their offer replaces. I put this set in my '87 R1500 https://tinyurl.com/y42u232e which was ALMOST plug-n-play, my low-beam harness wires needed to be reversed. Unlike an incandescent bulb, these devices are polarity sensitive. I did have problems with a set of lamps claiming to be 9006, 9006 equivalents . . . NOT. Their centers of illumination were way wrong for the fixtures I was trying to retrofit (1998 Saturn). Ordered another set from a different supplier and got parts that were really plug-n-play.

I'm going to upgrade an ambulance in which I often drive night-time patient transfers of about 200 miles round trip. Out here in four-legged, road-rat country (Bambies) you can't have too much down road visibility.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
One thing to keep in mind about LED headlamps. If you live in snow country most of them won't melt snow off them. You'll want ones with heaters. The first ones available were 7" round ones for motorcycles and Jeep Wranglers with transparent heater grids that would come on at a preset low temp. I just searched again and there are some 4x6 style with heat.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
One thing to keep in mind about LED headlamps. If you live in snow country most of them won't melt snow off them. You'll want ones with heaters. The first ones available were 7" round ones for motorcycles and Jeep Wranglers with transparent heater grids that would come on at a preset low temp. I just searched again and there are some 4x6 style with heat.
Good to know. Never knew there was such a thing but yes it makes sence

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoss1