lean miss? hair line crack in intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcarson

Reaction score
First Name
jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
So my old truck has developed a lean miss. I think?
I've been through the carb several times "Holley 650 vac secondary" im confident its clean, possibly a blown power valve. So I sprayed a little carb cleaner around the base and it stumbled> I took it off and replaced gaskets and tried it again. all sealed up. drove to town and noticed the miss again.
idles fine holds good steady vacuum and runs great till its warm and at cruising speed. then when you tryin speed up slightly or go up a grade the miss-stumble starts. I pulled the plugs they're whitish brown.
took carb back off cleaned again and going back on noticed a small hairline crack on the secondary side of the intake ,both holes have a crack running from the base of carb about 1.5 inches down plus the divider is cracked.
is this common I've never seen it before? I realize that its getting warm and opening causing a lean condition, but can it let in that much air to cause the miss? trucks a 4 speed and when im taking off going thru gears you never notice it just when cruising and then putting a slight load on it.
by the way the miss just started and im betting them cracks been there for a while.
anyone got any input on this? thanks,,jared

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Change your plugs. You can get a miss like that from a cracked ceramic, even on a new plug.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Try sealing up the crack in the intake with jb weld or the like. Kinda makes me wonder what make the intake crack like that.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

jcarson

Reaction score
First Name
jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have been around these trucks for 20 years and have never seen an intake crack like that. I cant seal it good because of the how greasy and cruddy it is. Guess I should just take it off and swap it out.

I did change out the pugs and all looked almost perfect,maby a little white. but it made no difference in how it ran. I have another carb laying around guees I could try it.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yea thats a first that I've ever heard of an intake cracking... Warped maybe. Well swap carbs first then maybe intakes if the carb doesn't help.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76