Leaking valve covers causing exhaust leaks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had a decent exhaust leak from my passenger side manifold that was there when I bought the truck. Dropped by the parts store and got new gaskets and swapped them out real quick. No leak all the way home and then back to the restaurant to eat supper. When we went out to leave, I can hear a little bit of a leak. They lasted about 3 hours. Both of my valve covers are leaking. Will the oil cause my exhaust manifold gaskets to leak prematurely? I'm planning on fixing the valve covers this weekend.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
I had a decent exhaust leak from my passenger side manifold that was there when I bought the truck. Dropped by the parts store and got new gaskets and swapped them out real quick. No leak all the way home and then back to the restaurant to eat supper. When we went out to leave, I can hear a little bit of a leak. They lasted about 3 hours. Both of my valve covers are leaking. Will the oil cause my exhaust manifold gaskets to leak prematurely? I'm planning on fixing the valve covers this weekend.

I never use gaskets for exhaust "cast iron manifolds" to heads...they usually always leak...

with headers i use the ole fashioned tin coated OEM,, but i double them up with the tin on the out side of both,materiel facing each other, that is a good header trick without paying big bucks for b.s. header gaskets.........

:peace::fca5278e:

Last edited:

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So you just metal on metal with cast iron manifolds?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Valve cover leaks have no affect on the exhaust manifolds. It's common to have to retighten the exhaust bolts after the new gaskets have gone through a couple of heat/cool cycles.

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Valve cover leaks have no affect on the exhaust manifolds. It's common to have to retighten the exhaust bolts after the new gaskets have gone through a couple of heat/cool cycles.

Thanks. I'll crank on them and see if that helps.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
So you just metal on metal with cast iron manifolds?

yup,, just make sure the surfaces are clean/ no left over gasket crap,, then torque um to 35 ft lbs and they will never leak..... unless there cracked someplace...... ive seen that also.......

i and many gave up on gaskets for cast iron to cast ion long time ago.....

if they are aluminum head? ehhhh, some say yes some say no...

i still would bolt um up without,, i figure a leak will try and torch a grove in the head where the gasket is ******......:welcome:

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey I'll give it a shot. I've never had good luck with those gaskets anyway. Used to have a 92 Blazer with a 350 and it leaked all the time.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Clean them surfaces up real good.
Use a sanding block with 80 grit to remove any excess material, carbon, old gasket and whatever else might be stuck toum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scawdrey