Ladder bars or Traction bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdub209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
So i just finished my 6" lift on my k20. I went with the rough country kit, but blocks in the rear... didn't have the money saved for leafs at the moment so just got blocks for the time being till i buy ez-ride springs from tuff country most likely. My pinion angles aren't terrible with the transfer case drop bracket, but axle still isn't perfect and at a slight angle. plus running a 4" block is not my favorite thing in the world.
With that said is anyone running ladder bars or traction bars?
if so from what company?
who builds the custom ones?
I seen tuff country makes ladder bars and traction bars for the 73-91 squares, but haven't heard anything or seen any feed back on them? does anyone run them or know anything about them? both kits look easy to install and require no welding. so that caught my eye since i really don't want to start welding on this axle if i end up getting a new one.
the ladder bar mounts in between the u-bolts and axle then the other end frame mount has to be drilled and bolted down. looks solid.
the traction bars mount in between the leaf spring and u-bolt then the other end you drill a hole in the leaf spring frame perch and the stud would slide through then bolt there. that one seems kinda sketchier being just one stuff going through the perch, if you make power or have axle wrap before you would think it would bend that perch eventually?
so personally i was leaning toward the ladder bar, but haven't heard anything so was looking for input on them or if anyone has any other ideas?
But yes 6" leafs are my next suspension part for the rear lol.
thanks guys and happy new year [emoji323]
-Tdub209

1985 K20 w/ a cammed, ported, and bored 350, sm465, np208, 4.10 gears, dana 60 & corp 14, 6" lift, 37s, and a full stereo.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I have done a ton of lifted , 70's , square's for myself and all of my family members , both mild to 400+ hp motors , all six inch and up lifts and played around with different set ups.

Depends on what the truck is for . For myself I would ladder bar a truck , with big power for mud drags , street racing or sand drags but thats about it.

My girls 78 square has a 6" lift and 35's with a 355 , 270hr roller cam , harland sharp roller rockers , 10 to 1 compression , 202 ported heads , and all the bolt on goodies and we went with 4" rear springs with a 2" block. It has a nice ride and squats down in the back and burns the 35's as far as you want to see with no wheel hop at all , the key is getting your pinion angle right and you are good to go with no wheel hop.

If you like to go off road and enjoy a nice ride and flex you really dont want something that limits the rear suspension movement . If you like to drag on the street or mud drags , etc. then thats another story.

The longer and flatter the spring the better the ride and you can air bag if needed to carry weight . Also out of all the trucks that have had blocks in the rear we have never had a single problem and we go off road all the time.

If it was me I would run a shackle reverse and a stock , or soft spring with a small block or no block , (depending on your leafs you choose) and play with your pinion angle to get it right for no wheel hop , then you will have a great ride and still be able to burn the rears off when ever you want.

Also I am not a fan of rough country springs , (to stiff) , and I always ditch the sway bar with lift springs.

Also my 74 long bed 4spd , 6" lift , all block in the rear , 35's , 325hp 350 , (its my plow truck) , I love to dump the clutch at 4,000 and burn them on the street and no hop at all. Its fun because people dont think an old work truck can do that with 35's.

Anyway I hope this is some help for you and I am sure some other guys on here have their set ups to add so have fun and , Happy New year.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Here is a pic of her truck , its clean and fast!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have a pair of lateral traction bars using 2" dom tube and 3/4" heim joints on both ends. I just wanted to control wheel hop and dont offroad my square (it has a 5-7 drop). On my off road truck....articulation is key, so the traction bar although fabricated in the same fashion, was mounted in a different location to allow full suspension articulation and flex.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1