1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kick Panel Speaker

Discussion in 'Interior' started by eskimomann209, Jul 4, 2019.

1. dvdswan

dvdswan Full Access Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    IMO, the speakers in the door get kicked more than they do in the kick panel. It really would depend on how far they protrude from the kick panel though.

2. Dysco

Dysco Junior Member

First Name:
    Rick
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
    Kick panels are actually out of the way, sound is actually good, the speakers are forward of the seat base and there is room for the sound to carry. Thousands of people have done it without issue.
    Way better idea than cutting into the door.

3. 4WDKC

4WDKC Full Access Member

First Name:
    Kacy
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V10
    Engine Size:
    the bigger speaker produces better sound than the dash speakers, to design them correctly they may get kicks as the bottom would be angled out to point the up at the driver. If you are worried about mud,snow and rain on the outside of the speaker look into marine speakers or any speaker that doesnt use a paper cone.

4. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    Marine speakers sounds like a good idea. ATM my truck is barely worthy of a radio. Heck I'm still debating on where to put the freaking head unit.

But here's a Plan B. Sound fill isn't just for the rear decks of cars anymore.

cb22267944757ac8415b76bd5abe55af--speakers-audio.jpg

lol

eskimomann209 and ajdemello like this.
  5. 82sbshortbed

82sbshortbed Full Access Member

First Name:
    Doug
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:

:lol: I would expect that from a Ford owner

6. dvdswan

dvdswan Full Access Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10
    Engine Size:
  7. eskimomann209

eskimomann209 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Marcus
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    The back side is insulated in a box like @4WDKC posted?
    Otherwise I’d think the back of the speakers are exposed?

I worried about this too with size 14 boots. But I’ll know by the weekend and post to let you know.

8. SquareRoot

SquareRoot Full Access Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20
    Engine Size:
    I'm slowly getting my stereo system together. It's always one step forward and two steps back. Disclaimer, I have installed stereo systems part time for 20+ years so I know a little about the theory.

I have a Focal component system laying around that I'm determined to put in the square. However, I'm picky about it looking professional. I'm in the process of rebuilding my doors and getting them back to better than new condition. I stripped them, epoxy coated the inside followed by spray in bed liner. The entire inner door panels were then covered in dynamat and foil backed jute. Wing windows rebuilt and all new precision weather stripping. I cut the doors and installed baffles, lower carpets and fine mesh metal grills. I also added the correct OEM wiring conduit between the door and cab. A lot of trouble and work but the door is unbelievably solid and opens and closes like clockwork. I'll try to document and post photos of the process as I start on the other door tonight. As for the argument regarding sound quality with speakers mounted in the door or kick panels, it's a moot point (most new vehicles come that way). Actually, the lower they are the better the sound timing as both sides are more equal in distance from your ears. If it's lacks volume, buy a quality amp along with quality speakers and turn it up. Be sure you have appropriate caps and/or coils for each set of speakers to avoid distortion. I'll talk about the underseat custom sub box I'm working on in another post. Yes, you can get a 12" dvc sub under the seat in a 2-3 cubic ft box. This means mounting the amp(s) on the back wall (no big deal). This pic shows how unobtrusive the door speaker is. It's kinda dark, I'll get better ones tonight. Point is the speaker only protrudes 1/2" from the door surface and practically dissappears if you want it too. I'll be making a shallow (2") angled panel for the 4" and tweeter for the kick panel.

61720194530.jpg

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019