K5 Tailgate Latch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diaric

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 L
I'm trying to put my truck back together after this long drawn out restoration and seem to be struggling with the simplest things, like the tailgate latch.
I've searched all around for pictures and info and I believe I have it correct but its not working. The rod below the mechanism with the spring, is my issue. If I pull it back against the spring, it operates fine, but as is, the spring pulls the rod up to the mechanism and jams it. What am I missing?

Here are some pics. The red one I found online, the blue one is mine. All the schematics I've found don't show the actual part detail.

You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Here are a couple of dwgs showing the end gate of a 1987 K5. They show basically the same parts, just drawn differently:

I have no experience with these so the dwgs might have nothing to do with your application.

diaric

Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2 L
Thanks, I already figured it out with help from another site. I had it correct, its a window safety. It jams the latch unless the window is down, makes perfect sense now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia