K20 shocks? Single or dual front and brand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SrMousse

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I was running quad procomps up front. Way to stiff. I dropped back to singles, I still don't like the ride.

Got a buddy who's recommending I try a set of shocks that don't have rebound, meaning they don't push open they just slow the expand contract cycle. He's got a set for me to try, but I'm waiting until on parts come in to rebuild the front end. I'll let you know my results.

In the end, I wish I had sprung for a reservoir based shock... Buuuut, I didn't want to drop a G on socks when I still have an engine to rebuild!!...

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had the rancho 9000s when they first came out. Kinda cool- but found it seemed like every time I went to adjust them it was raining and I'd get mud all over me. I've since just ran Bilsteins. They do a good enough job of adjusting themselves.

Might want to disconnect that front sway bar and wire it up out of the way and take a drive. Might be really impressed by how much softer it rides. And if you don't like the bodyroll if you corner hard then if you get a front sway bar disconnect (even if you never disconnect it) it will allow the sway bar to move and you get a nicer ride but still retain the sway bar characteristics. When I had my Tuff Country HD springs I found there was basically NO body roll.

Off road designs longer HD front greaseable shackle would make a bit of a difference also. Let those springs flatten and move...

Thanks for the suggestions!
I’ve thought about the greasable shackles. Think there’s that much resistance in the old ones! Not havin an issue with the spring eye contacting the frame or anything although there is precious little clearance. Seems like it could if one could actually use most of all of the suspension travel.

same with the sway bar. Once I get it finished and back on the road, I was considering disconnecting one side and see how she handles.
Right now it’s like a sports car with 3’ of ground clearance!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was running quad procomps up front. Way to stiff. I dropped back to singles, I still don't like the ride.

Got a buddy who's recommending I try a set of shocks that don't have rebound, meaning they don't push open they just slow the expand contract cycle. He's got a set for me to try, but I'm waiting until on parts come in to rebuild the front end. I'll let you know my results.

In the end, I wish I had sprung for a reservoir based shock... Buuuut, I didn't want to drop a G on socks when I still have an engine to rebuild!!...

almost like a steering stabilizer. Sounds intriguing and may help a bit to soften the ride.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I know the K5 had a dual shock oem setup on some units but it was usually not something that converts well to mainstream aftermarket shocks. Mine had quads up front and I talked to Bilstein Tech support and they said stick with single 5100's up front, and they do not sell a steering stabilizer either, so I will just buying a ranch and painting it silver. I guess I would recommend talking to the shock maker and ask.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
^All good points. And makes sense a stiff/slow valved shock will put more stress on the mounts.
As would abuse. If someone is trying to play Fall Guy and jump his truck vs a daily driver that just hits a few sips in the road or potholes.

And with your positive experiences I’ll keep the option open I think. But maybe shy away from know stiff shocks like Bilsteins.

Hey Grits, I consider myself a bit of a shock expert as I have decades of broken shocks to learn from!

Twin shocks are not two of the same... they come as a set and are valved softer. All they are supposed to do is last longer. If you want further dampening get a stiffer shock.

Stiffer shocks don't effect ride as much as one might think... spring capacity has more to do with that. Your truck rides like a brick because your Rough Country springs are vastly over rated for the truck. They made them like that so they would not compress enough to bottom out the rear (front spring, to be clear) shackle against the frame. So articulation is very limited.
As suggested above, pulling the sway bar at least just to try it out can be really educational! It's surprising how little they minimize body lean and just as mind blowing how they create a stiffer front end.

You can always remove the bottom spring from the pack, but that means taking it apart. If you're courageous you can use a zip disk (4") and whack off a few inches from and back of the lower spring in the pack.

I hope this is helpful information.

I have more... back to shocks..
Another option I highly recommend are these guys..

Doetsch Tech shocks. Family run in Cali.

They have standard type of replacement shocks and custom units. The custom Mono Tube rebuildable are always my recommendation. For the price I believe they can't be beat. They will make them custom for your application. They will want
to know what your doing with the truck and how you drive. If you don;t like the valving, they will set you up so you can
rebuild them yourself, and change the valving. If you want duals they will valve for this. You can add on a resi upon purchase or even at a later point.

Mach5

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
My K5 came with some sad Monroe Gas-Magnums. (It pitched and rolled more than a sweaty fat girl stranded on a waterbed. And groaned - did I mention it groaned?) My mechanic recommended KYB MonoMax monotubes. Very happy with the tighter ride.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@shiftpro Thank you for the info.
Makes sense about dual shocks theoretically for fade resistance not additional damping ( compared to whatever is needed for the application).
Can’t drive the truck now until it’s finished, but I was already considering unhooking the sway bar. It could ride a little softer, And shortening the bottom leaf before just replacing the springs makes sense.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
The quad shocks are supposed to be valved to work in tandem.I ran them years ago and broke the drivers side mount on the axle while scouting for deer.Honestly it was a gimmick in a year that didn’t have a new engine or something.Maybe it’s useful for towing,but 1 good shock is enough,IMO.I actually talked to Rancho when I ordered them because the truck rode like crap.They had told me they was valved specifically for dual shocks.They did have separate part numbers.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Yeah, but Quads look way cooler!

FWIW, if you look at the GM parts book the quad shocks have different part numbers than the dual shocks. If you look at most aftermarket catalogs they use the same main shock in both applications and just add a second shock for the quads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito