K-15 Project from Good Ol' Montucky!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bad Jack XV

Reaction score
First Name
Barb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-15
Engine Size
4.1L 250ci In-line Six
Hey everyone! Just thought I'd drop a wee introduction, as I'm beyond happy to have found this site--ten minutes of perusing the forums has already given me some good ideas for my little project.

A bit about me; I'm 25, and this is my first vehicle that I've actually owned--as in, I bought her, I fix her, I have my name on the title, and it's awesome. I grew up with a Chevy/GMC-Lovin' father who had nothing BUT square-bodies, and use to tell little 9-year-old-Me, "This truck is gonna be yours some day," while pointing at a monstrous 1970-something Chevy 3/4 ton with a long bed, crew cab, and duallies. Now I never got THAT truck, but once I was able, I went and found one of my own!

Now enough about me; my Trusty Steed is a 1976 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4. Shortbed, stepside, 4.1L 250ci In-Line Six. 4-speed Manual Muncie SM465 Transmission ( Or is it 3-speed with Granny? One of those! ) I actually bought this truck from my uncle who had dropped around a grand on it, drove it home, then let it sit for around six months without touching it again. At the time I was buying a '74 Chevy Cheyenne 3/4 ton off him for payments, and we just made a clean swap back, he gave me the GMC for the "Price" of the payments I'd made so far. He got the '74 back ( his favorite pickup he'd owned, it had just broke down, so he sold it to me on the cheap, and I fixed it! ) and I got my dream truck--manual trans, stepside, all yes.

The fellow my Uncle bought this truck from passed away unfortunately mere weeks before I took the truck, so I was never able to ask what all he'd done to it, so it's history is mostly a mystery aside from what I can visually see, or what's on the title. It came with no glove-box, and therefor, no documents, and the only thing I ever found in the truck was some kind of knife under the seat ( cool, I s'pose?! )

It's a Project--she's bent, bruised, and broken in places, but the engine is MINT, she handles like a ( very bumpy, grumpy ) Cadillac, but we're workin' on it!

At the immediate moment, she's actually my work vehicle, too -- I deliver food locally, and I get more then a few compliments on my choice of workhorse. In the summer, it's a bit overkill--gas isn't too bad, with the in-line six, but still. I don't like using her as a "beater car" for work. But in the winter, my bosses are thanking the Pizza Gods when I show up for work and it's a blizzard outside. :)

And yes, I nicknamed her "Bad Jack" -- despite that itty-bitty engine, she has some serious bite.
You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
welcome. Don't see too many stepsides with the fender mounted spare anymore.

Geektrucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale Suburban C10
Engine Size
350, Vortec Heads, Hi-rise intake, long tube headers, BIG bump stick
Welcome from Maine! There's not too many of us rocking the inline 6, but a few here. Two biggest suggestions for the 250, upgrade the dizzy to HEI if not already, and swap out the monojet for at least a 2 barrel carb. Oh, and if you like a really nice burble, throw a glass pack / cherry bomb on that like I did!

Sent from my LG-UK495 using Tapatalk

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Welcome!

Bad Jack XV

Reaction score
First Name
Barb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-15
Engine Size
4.1L 250ci In-line Six
@CSFJ; Thank you! I get a couple of compliments on that, and haven't seen another close to my year that has it in my town!

@Geektrucker; I've been told by a couple people I know, "Upgrade to the 350!" and I honestly kind of like my wee little In-line six, haha. Already gonna do the HEI upgrade and the Carb. Sawed the exhaust off a couple months ago, and will probably be throwing a cherry bomb on it, though I have a Flowmaster lying about that I might try out. With three foot of snow outside, progress is slow, but by the end of next summer she'll be like a whole new truck!

@Georgeb; Thank you!

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Cool Cool and Welcome Aboard

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy! You have an awesome truck BTW, I hope you leave it just as it is :cheers:

crpntr78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Don't do the downgrade to the 350! I say downgrade because earlier in life I had an '84 GMC heavy duty K20 8600 GVW with the in-line 292. I thought I needed more power and had a guy build me a 350 sb, worst mistake ever. Poor truck eventually went through 4 350's, eventually ending with a Jasper engine that pumped oil into the breather canister. My wife finally had a enough and said to trade it off. I did, for a'90 F250 with the 300 6 cylinder. Best truck I ever owned as far as dependabilty. I feel I ripped the heart right out of my GMC and won't ever do a downgrade again.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
good looking ride, and welcome.

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Nice truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Welcome! Always nice to see someone else from Montana on here... not many of us, that is for sure.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome: from N.E.
You must be registered for see images attach

Bad Jack XV

Reaction score
First Name
Barb
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-15
Engine Size
4.1L 250ci In-line Six
Thank you, everyone, for such a great welcome! I love it here already ;3
@77 K20; Well hey there! I was hoping there were some of us Mountain-Folk 'round here ;D
@crpntr78; I'll probably leave it just as it is! Though hopefully no one can fault me for upgrades some bits here and there ;D I'm not a huge fan of putting a 350 in it, as I had the '74 with the 350, and I appreciate the gas mileage of my wee In-Line, haha.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm